You are here

Gerzon Array for Ambient Recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Gerzon Array for Ambient Recording

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:00 am

Having read Hugh's article on the not-so-well-known Gerzon Array (as he calls it), I tried it out on some chamber music concerts and was well pleased using it as an alternative to my usual ORTF plus omni outrigger array.

I also like to make ambient recordings in the bush (forest) and was taking an ORTF array out tramping which is a sizeable setup when you take the Rycote blimp to go with it!

The success of using the Gerzon array in concert got me thinking that it may work well for ambient recording AND that it would make for a more compact setup.

I took it out over the weekend using MKH8040s in a Gerzon array and mounted in a baby ball gag, so thought I'd report back. I happened to have a couple of remote cables for the MKHs which allow remote mounting of their XLR connectors - however in a rash move I butchered these so that I could connect them directly to a 5pin (XLR?) connector.

I managed to buy some Sommer Cicada So-D14 cable locally, which is tiny 3.4mm diameter star quad cable.

So anyway here's a pic of the MKHs in the baby ball gag:

and so my entire ambient recording kit now looks like this (instead of an entire backpack):

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome - so thought I'd share.

Of course there's lots of alternatives and the Rode NT4 and Audio Technica BP4025 spring to mind.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Gerzon Array for Ambient Recording

Postby forumuser840717 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:16 am

That looks very neat. :clap: I've been wondering about a double ORTF setup with Schoeps CCM4s (or more likely CMC14Ls) for some surround atmos recording but it won't be as compact as yours! I only have one 8040 and rarely use it but If the 8040s will fit in the BBG then the CCM4s/CMC14Ls should fit too.

(Call me a pedant (it's one of the nicer things I get called!) but, assuming the picture isn't reversed, either you don't follow normal broadcast colour coding standards or you have your red and green L-R reversed :geek: )
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:09 am

Very neat set-up, amazing, I’d like to try this with a couple of Schoeps CCM's, but I’ve only got one CCM4, I may have to get another!
Intrigued by this "Gerzon Array"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:20 am

forumuser840717 wrote:(Call me a pedant (it's one of the nicer things I get called!) but, assuming the picture isn't reversed, either you don't follow normal broadcast colour coding standards or you have your red and green L-R reversed :geek: )

Well you might be a pedant but I would never call you that! Actually I wouldn't have a clue what the broadcast colour coding standard is - I've always used Green for Left and Red for Right simply because Red and Right start with the letter R!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am

Green for starboard (right side of the ship/boat looking forwards) and red for port (left side of the ship/boat) for navigation lights and buoy colours, so I'd assume other uses of green and red for left/right designation would follow this long-established international principle.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 am

For the record... I'm with Bob... Red is Right!

... and unless other people are working on things you've rigged - and vice versa... it matters not a jot... :)

Neat set-up Bob. I used an NT4 when I was doing outdoor recordings, but it is very heavy compared to your 'Gerzon'.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 am

Wonks wrote:Green for starboard (right side of the ship/boat looking forwards) and red for port (left side of the ship/boat) for navigation lights and buoy colours, so I'd assume other uses of green and red for left/right designation would follow this long-established international principle.

Didn’t the port/starboard thing originate as a BBC standard? I use it, but it clashes with red/right channel, so I always avoid it on some leads.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 am

Red/green port/starboard was long before the BBC! 1848 or so.

Surely if you go by the names of the colours, you should use lavender or lilac for left? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:14 am

Wonks wrote:Red/green port/starboard was long before the BBC! 1848 or so.

Surely if you go by the names of the colours, you should use lavender or lilac for left? :D

Nah! White is left... just checkout the RCA phono colours on innumerable bits of domestic and semi-pro gear...

Sorry Bob... back to Gerzon arrays... I commend the idea to the house... Hugh's article which has started Bob and others experimenting is at https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gerzon-array
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 am

Twin needle PPMs (Stereo PPMs), the A/B meters have the Left/ Red, the Right/Green "standard".
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:45 am

I think everyone is forgetting - I'm in the Southern Hemisphere - everything is back to front here!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:12 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:I think everyone is forgetting - I'm in the Southern Hemisphere - everything is back to front here!

Bob
!boB ,eno taht htiw su loof t'nac uoY
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:15 am

The BBC engineers, when choosing a colour-coding scheme for stereo applications back in the 60s (predominantly for stereo PPMs) took the obvious decision to adopt the well-established international navigation light scheme of red-left, green-right.

And anyone who has passed through the BBC's technical training, or who has been trained in flying or sailing will be very comfortable with that convention.

However, the hi-fi world inevitably took a different approach... Typically the channel colour codes in that application are:

L-front - white
R-front - red
Centre - green
LFE - violet
Rear-left - blue
Rear-right - grey
In eight-channel systems channel 7 is brown, and 8 is khaki (faded yellow)!

But the Germans, for some weird reason known only to themselves, use a different scheme (I'm thinking primarily about Schoeps surround rigs here), which is:

L-front - yellow
R-front - red
Centre - orange
LFE - grey
Rear-left - blue
Rear-right - green
In eight-channel systems, channel 7 is violet and 8 is brown

I've seen this 'German' code used in professional Dolby installations a few times too.

As Mike says, it matters not what the colours are as long as you which is which... but for me -- inevitably -- red is always left and green always right. And so I agree with my friends comment about Bob's array being upside down... although that does seem entirely appropriate somehow! :lol:

One other thing in passing about Bob's array... those capsules are extremely close to the inner surface of the ball gag, and therefore wind attenuation will be considerably poorer than intended.... although it may still be adequate for the intended application.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:One other thing in passing about Bob's array... those capsules are extremely close to the inner surface of the ball gag, and therefore wind attenuation will be considerably poorer than intended.... although it may still be adequate for the intended application.

Are you saying Bob needs bigger balls? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:29 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:One other thing in passing about Bob's array... those capsules are extremely close to the inner surface of the ball gag, and therefore wind attenuation will be considerably poorer than intended.... although it may still be adequate for the intended application.

Yes, that’s worth noting, but so far hasn’t proved to be a problem.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster

Next