You are here

My sound card gave up the ghost

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

My sound card gave up the ghost

Postby tomas » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:44 pm

It still twinkles its LEDs and it talks with the computer via USB, but no sound is coming in or out of it. My Audient iD22 turned four years old in February, and this week it became no better than a doorstop. I contacted Audient who referred me to their regional distributor. I contacted the distributor who passed on the issue to the local service company. Apparently it’s a common issue with this model; after 3-4 years it just dies. Something goes wrong on the main PCB.

Probably a chip that costs a few quid, but they won’t tell me which one and all components are SMDs. How much for a new or refurbished PCB then? Well, that will be €93 and some cents plus €15 shipping plus VAT on top of the sum.

Hmm.. really? I told the service company that it was too much for this. They immediately explained prices went up cuz Brexit happened and offered me a 15% discount!? Hmm, again!

I considered my options and bought a new card: RME Babyface Pro FS. Not cheap, but I have two years warranty. My old card will become a doorstop or landfill material, unless someone wants to try to replace the broken chip or spend €100+ on a new PCB.. :(

On the upside, I have gotten a significant upgrade in sound quality. RME rocks!
tomas
Regular
cheers, t-:

Re: My sound card gave up the ghost

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:16 pm

tomas wrote:On the upside, I have gotten a significant upgrade in sound quality. RME rocks!
...and (once you get your head around it) the world of TotalMix is now open to you! Once you've grasped it you won't want to go back.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dan LB » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:56 pm

The same thing happened my iD22. I did however purchase the replacement PCB (for a little less than you were initially quoted - it was around €75 BB* IIRC) and revived it. It's been working perfectly ever since.

I do like the iD22 a lot, but, like you, this issue will likely make me look to other brands when replacing it.

Dan

*Before Brexit ;)
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby tomas » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 pm

The Elf wrote:...and (once you get your head around it) the world of TotalMix is now open to you!

Indeed, and very deep it is too! Lots of stuff to learn, many possibilities I didn’t know I ever would need.. 8-) The cost of developing software is a significant part of the cost of hardware these days.

The other card I was considering was the brand new Mk5 of MOTU’s UltraLite. When comparing the respective corporate websites, RME’s online support forum with its active presence and participation of a company founder won me over.
tomas
Regular
cheers, t-:

Postby Chet Leeway » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Almost exactly the same experience wih the iD22 here. Just out of guarantee, suddenly it stopped working. The offer I got for a repair from the local distributor was more or less the same as a new unit. Incidentally I had already bought a backup/secondary simpler Audient unit, so I've been using that ever since without problems. Let's see what happens when the guarantee ends.

I've been considering the Audient Sono as a new primary unit since the feature list is ideal for my use and I'm very happy with the sound I've been getting through my Audient interfaces. I need gear that lasts longer than the guarantee period + a few months, though, so I hesitate to pull the trigger.
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby tomas » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Dan LB wrote:I do like the iD22 a lot, but, like you, this issue will likely make me look to other brands when replacing it.

I did like it too, and I have a great understanding for Audient not being Apple, i.e. a small company is unable to smooth over mistakes and mishappenings the way a mega-giant can. Brexit or no Brexit, I had however hoped they would’ve owned up to it and offered the PCB at cost rather than passing me through layers of distribution and logistics companies, who all need to earn their living too.

But the difference in sound quality with the RME is what surprised me the most. The bass goes lower, the noise floor is inaudible, the soundstage is 3D.. The iD22 was a significant step up from my old M-Audio ProjectMix I/O, and the RME is yet another significant step up from the iD22.
tomas
Regular
cheers, t-:

Postby CS70 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:25 pm

A bit like my post about Focusrite (pity nobody from the company ever came back), companies seem not to understand how damaging it is to lose reputation. Or perhaps it's just that they make the most money selling beginners' interfaces who are unlikely to keep them for more than a couple years.

RME seems to understand that - to the point that in the RME forum people from the company routinely respond and assist users with all kinds of support.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby jimjazzdad » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Babyface user and RME acolyte here. I think Audient did you a favour by making a 'disposable' interface - you're in a better place now. :thumbup:
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:13 pm

RME here too, for almost 20 years.
:thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:45 pm

My 6 year old iD22 must have been built on a good day.
I really hope it survives a good bit longer as I really like the monitoring options it gives.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.