You are here

Remote Control of UAD Console - AT Last!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Remote Control of UAD Console - AT Last!

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 am

Haven't seen this pop up in the forums so thought I'd flag it up.

I've discovered a simple solution to a long-standing frustration. I use a UAD Apollo and whilst I have two monitors I like to have them exclusively set up for Logic Pro. Despite many requests from users, UAD have never developed remote control solutions for their console app, which means you have to switch to the console app to tweak input and monitoring parameters.

Softube have a solution (apparently) but of course that's not cheap.

Radu Varga is a musician who has worked out a solution himself and it's now available as a free download app here: https://www.raduvarga.com/software/ua-midi-control, (there's also a paid upgrade that provides some extra features).

Having discovered its existence, I downloaded it (on a Mac) and tried mapping it to an MPD218. Easy and works like a dream in the background - so you don't need to leave your DAW. Of course the MPD218 isn't exactly the most sensible piece of hardware to use for this purpose (I'm looking at buying a Korg NanoKontrol 2 or Akai LDP8) - but the thing is it looks like you can map any MIDI device to work with this.

My priorities for this are mute/unmute channels, channel input gain settings, phantom power, plus volume/pan send controls - though it does a lot more. That alone is going to make tracking so much easier.

For those of us working with UAD interfaces and have to constantly switch between Console and your DAW - this is a game changer.

Any other users are welcome to chip in and I'll report back once I have a sensible piece of hardware mapped.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Remote Control of UAD Console - AT Last!

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 am

Thanks for this, Bob. I shall certainly investigate.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:39 am

Just reporting back now that I've set up a controller for this app - it works very well.

I decided to purchase an Akai MIDIMix to control the UA MIDI Control software because of the control options and form factor. This seemed a good option for my proposed purpose that was to control UAD's Control Software without using up any screen real estate. Perhaps worth noting that I do not insert plug-ins on the UAD Control channels - I record clean and mix in the box afterwards - though you can control plug-ins with the UA MIDI Control app.

I set it up as follows (from top to bottom):

Preamp channel gain
Aux 1 send for comfort reverb
Monitoring pan
Monitoring mute
Phantom power
Monitoring gain

I also mapped the master fader to control the comfort reverb return.

This set up is for when I'm tracking myself. When I have others in the studio I'll replace the Aux 1 send with a Cuemix channel.

Mute buttons and Phantom Power (marked Rec Arm) illuminate correctly.

Works like a dream and highly recommended.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:58 pm

That looks neat and surprisingly cheap. I've bookmarked this thread and will probably give it a whirl sometime.

Cheers.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.