You are here

The order in which you’d turn off monitors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

The order in which you’d turn off monitors

Postby mikkiyo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:28 am

Hello Guys
I’ve recently bought KRK classic 5s
Along with Focusrite scarlett interface
Since I live in EU, had to get two grey-coloured transformers (230w respectively) for each speaker (100w)
As you can see on the pic I’ve enclosed here

https:*?*?*/j8HcYn2

Since I always turn off monitors before going to bed, I usually press the power off button on the extension cord and it gives the slight POPPING sound
In order to avoid speakers being blown due to a mishap
Is there a way / order I should follow in turning off the gear?
Like what shall I turn off first
I assume I gotta close all the sound-related projects / videos that are playing , then lower the volume of the interface and then it gets tricky
Could you please elaborate as how to follow each step?

ps
Morning start with me firstly opening up my MacBook
Then swirling the extension cord and then speakers
mikkiyo
New here

Re: The order in which you’d turn off monitors

Postby BJG145 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 am

To avoid pops, use the power switch on the back.

In general, monitors should be the last thing powered up, first thing powered down.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 am

.... and if you're at all serious about this funny old world of recording and mixing, your Number 1 spending priority has to be some more acoustic treatment - including monitor stands - for your space...

:)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby mikkiyo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:57 pm

BJG145 wrote:To avoid pops, use the power switch on the back.

In general, monitors should be the last thing powered up, first thing powered down.

So if I get this thing right
First thing in the morning when I get down to work:

1. Open up my MacBook
2. Turn the extension cord was on (where transformers are plugged cos they need to be adjusted to US-based products)
3. Turn the knobs of each monitor behind (from Off to On)

And before going to bed:

1. Turn off the knobs at the back of each monitor (after lowering the volume of the USB interface)
2. Close all sound-related works / videos on my Mac
4. Then shut my Mac down

Sorry for being so comprehensive, just wanna make sure I do all the things right so as to avoid any complications and thank you for your response
Great let appreciated
mikkiyo
New here

Postby BJG145 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Sounds good to me. :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Though if the transformers go to their own switched extension socket with nothing else connected to it then you could just switch off at the extension socket without having to delve behind the monitors.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mikkiyo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Thank you guys for your input
Much appreciated
mikkiyo
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 pm

I find it strange that many people on audio forums get worried about the supposed 'fragility' of their gear? Phantom power seems to worry them a lot* but also the order of powering up/down their kit. I am a great believer that manufactures design gear to cope with 'worse case scenarios' to a degree and I would say remote switching of active monitors is very far from 'worse case'!

My modest setup consists of desktop PC, screen, interface (NI KA6) and two Tannoy 5A monitors. The whole shooting match, plus a bit of other kit is controlled from a 13A double outlet and gets banged on and off from there. That setup has been turned on and off once a day, nearly every day for over ten years (other AIs have come and gone) The Tannoys make the mildest "phut" and I don't change fader settings. For sure, IF you have something that makes a fearsome CRACK! Make arrangements to reduce it but I would complain to the company as well.

*Be sensible with it, have it off when connecting mics or you can send a big thump through the system that 'might' damage a speaker but I doubt it. Do not connect phantom power to things that were not intended to get it such as outputs of kit. No modern microphone will be bothered by 48V but if you can afford delicate antique ribbons you can afford a dedicated preamp! Even then I think damage to ribbons is a vanishingly rare event?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:31 am

The need to turn gear on and off in the right order very much depends on what gear you use. In my studio the big mixing desk produces a large pulse of DC as the + and - sides of the power supplies die at a different rate. I don't really want my monitors exposed to that regularly so I make sure I power the monitors on last and off first.

However, in my home setup everything is powered via one switch as the audio interface only produces a small click at switch on/off.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:34 am

With a Midas MR12 mixer and Neumann KH120 monitors in my studio set completely flat, the pop after turning off all the power at once via the power strip switch was louder than I wanted. So I changed the gain structure by turning down the input gain on the monitors, and setting the limiting switches to 100 dB rather than 114 dB. Then I upped the output of the mixer to get the same overall gain. I don't get to 100 dB per speaker anyway. That way, the pop is now much softer and the faders on Mixing Station are closer to 0 dB and easier to adjust than before. Works well and risk of damage to the monitors from the current spike is eliminated completely.
Jorge
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:16 am

James Perrett wrote:The need to turn gear on and off in the right order very much depends on what gear you use. In my studio the big mixing desk produces a large pulse of DC as the + and - sides of the power supplies die at a different rate. I don't really want my monitors exposed to that regularly so I make sure I power the monitors on last and off first.

However, in my home setup everything is powered via one switch as the audio interface only produces a small click at switch on/off.

Fair enough Jame but I have to think that the designers of that mixer should either have 'sorted' the power supply or fitted a delay muting relay to the monitor feeds! I am also rather uncomfortable with the new fashion for DC coupled outputs on AIs?

In 'budget' gear clicks and plops can be caused because the cheapskate mfctr left out ONE 'tie down' resistor per channel post output capacitor. How much does a 47k SMR cost? !

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster