The 9.4 software release sees Universal Audio add a modern classic to their plug-in range.
Universal Audio’s Powered Plug-ins range is now so comprehensive that it can be quite a challenge to think of classic hardware which hasn’t yet been modelled. However, UA themselves say that there is one missing unit for which their users have been clamouring, and it’s that product that is the highlight of the latest UAD 9.4 software release.
Along with the UREI 1176 and the Teletronix LA-2A, the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor is a compressor you expect to find almost as a matter of course in any high-end control room. And, as usual, UA have gone the extra mile in recreating it. Not only is UA’s plug-in the only officially licensed software version, but their engineers apparently studied no fewer than four hardware originals.
Design-wise, one thing the Distressor has in common with...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.