Ableton Live 10.1, the first incremental upgrade to Live 10, has something for everyone and multiple improvements for most users.
Live 10.1, the first incremental upgrade to Live 10, has something for everyone and multiple improvements for most users. You'll find, or perhaps stumble over, new key commands, many designed to improve Live's visuals — zoom in and out, expand and contract, expose or hide specific features and so on. Track Freezing now accommodates side-chains by allowing both incoming and outgoing audio. And you can now use VST3 plug-ins, which add many features. Here we'll concentrate on major improvements to automation and modulation, a significant upgrade to Live's Wavetable instrument and several new audio effects.
There are two big stories here. One is that automation and clip modulation can coexist for the same parameter. The other is the bevy of new tools for drawing and editing automation and modulation curves. Before 10.1, clip modulation was limited to MIDI CC messages in MIDI clips and to volume, transposition and a few settings based on the clip's Warp mode in audio clips. All other Session view clip envelopes (mixer settings, device controls and so on) were actually track automation housed in the clip, and they were automatically transferred to the track when the clip was moved to Arrangement view. Now, when you're working in Session view, 'Aut' and 'Mod' buttons in the Clip view's Envelopes editor determine whether you create automation or modulation envelopes. If the Aut and Mod buttons don't appear when you select a parameter from the menu,...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...