You are here

A6 vs Prophet 08 vs Virus TI vs V Synth vs Motif XS

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: A6 vs Prophet 08 vs Virus TI vs V Synth vs Motif XS

Postby Zukan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:07 am

Worth reading this Sos review before investing in one.
Zukan

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:36 am

I have read that actually but its a review of the ES, I was just wondering how the XS measured up against it and the keyboard version..
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:38 am

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:got it ex-display from an ebay shop for £1245... latest OS and full year guarantee apparently, so seemed like a pretty safe bet..

Im now considering grabbing the Motif Rack as well :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Anyone know how these hold up against the full versions?

then i wont be spending any money on music stuff for a loooooong time..

If I was buying a Motif (and it is high up on my list), I will be buying the rack. It has everything the k/b versions has, minus the bits I don't need... i.e. sequencer.

The thing is, Motif is now onto it's 3rd incarnation, the XS range, but the module version hasn't caught up yet. I reckon it will, the same happened with the previous two Motif keyboards. Give it another 6 months or so, which might be perfect timing for yourself.

Enjoy the A6, one of these is also on my wish-list, but I would NEVER buy h/w new again unless I was minted. For the price you paid for the A6 alone you could've got both 2nd hand and in just as good as new condition ;)

I wouldn't pay any more than £475 for a Motif Rack ES. They're up on ebay all the time.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:00 am

you can get the Motif XS now though as far as I can tell? Its on all the sites, it costs £999.

Id agree with you about second hand but Ive heard so much about the andromeda problemwise id rather have a new one that works properly in a way, if Im spending serious cash..

reckon a Motif ES would be almost as good as an XS then?
and do they really go for £475?
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby leslawrenson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 am

Good choice, with the A6!

Get ready to start on a serious learning curve! But stick with it because you can now create some superb sounds, full of the richness and depth that only true analogue can create.

Read the manual. Call up some presets and deconstruct what the programmer has done to create the patches. Read and re-read the section in the manual on how to mod the oscillators, filters, envelops etc. Make sure you turn off the fx block before you undertake any programing.

Finally, buy yourself a pcima card (2MB will be more than sufficient). When you call up a spare slot in which to create a new patch, all parameters on the A6 are initialised, which saves a lot of dicking around.

Good luck with it!
leslawrenson
Regular

Postby Zukan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:13 pm

All three synths are completely different, both in terms of sound and their mod matrices.

I would demo all three and compare to your existing sound sets then decide what you actually need in your arsenal.

Bear in mind that the Motif has done the rounds in the Hip Hop genre, so it will be down to you to program fresh sounds.

The A6 is excellent and extremely flexible but will not carry the stock tinkly keyboard etc sounds that you might need for your selected genre, whereas the Motif does.

The 08 I am waiting to demo.
Zukan

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 pm

dont worry, Im aware that all of them are extremely different. Well ive got the andromeda in the post arriving tomorrow anyway so I made the decision. I had a play with one today and it sounds really nice. surprisingly nice feel to the keys too actually. love the ribbon controller. Id never use a workstation like the motif as the core of my setup because they are so ubiquitous, but to fill the gaps as a workhouse i think itd be really helpful. I had a go on one of these too in the same shop, they might be 'stock sounds' but they sound fantastic quality, and you could definitely flavour them up in the mix if you put them through the toft...
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:you can get the Motif XS now though as far as I can tell? Its on all the sites, it costs £999.

Id agree with you about second hand but Ive heard so much about the andromeda problemwise id rather have a new one that works properly in a way, if Im spending serious cash..

reckon a Motif ES would be almost as good as an XS then?
and do they really go for £475?

I'm sure you would've been fine with a 2nd hand A6... but don't quote me. lol. I reckon the ES would be good enough, but I was put off buying the original Motif Rack when the ES came out. The ES had HUGE improvement, especially where pianos were concerned, but I'm not that clued up on the newer XS spec. I will look into this, I had no idea it was out as a rack :lol:

Follow >>> THESE <<<

and check out these ended items (you'll need to sign in to see):

Motif Rack ES #1 - £470 (Unsold)
Motif Rack ES #2 - Sold for £321
Motif Rack ES #3 - Sold for £299
Motif Rack (original, non ES) #4 - Sold for £340

Most of these are US, but it works out about £50 - £75 more if purchased in the UK (even taking shipping , VAT and duty into account).

Not bad eh!!!

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:00 pm

the XS is being advertised but not shipping til June, I think. is it worth me paying £999 for one of these as opposed to half that or less for an ES, is the question I guess.....? are the sound engines different or is it just a case of the XS has new and more sounds?
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:the XS is being advertised but not shipping til June, I think. is it worth me paying £999 for one of these as opposed to half that or less for an ES, is the question I guess.....? are the sound engines different or is it just a case of the XS has new and more sounds?

I'm not sure, I'm assuming the XS has a bigger and better soundset as well as other great enhancements. After all, it's been about 4 years since the ES was released and a lot has changed since. Maybe there are comparison charts on the Yamaha wesbite? I havn't yet looked into the XS, but if I find out anything when I do, I'll let you know.

To be honest, I reckon the ES will be good enough for what you want right now. At least if you don't like it, you could sell it on for the same price you paid (maybe more) or if you REALLY like it and come into some extra cash, you could trade it up to an XS (if these turn out a MUCH better spec). At least then you'll be familiar with that Motif sound and you're not buying into something you're not familiar with.

If you bought the XS new and it wasn't your bag, you wouldn't get back what you paid for it.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby leslawrenson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Re the Motif, and just to throw a little idea into the ring, why not consider an old Kurzweil unit?

I recently bought a K2000R off Ebay for £165. I'm still getting to know it, but it has all the stock sounds, and they are truly stunning!

I think I got mine at a very good price, but they regularly sell for less than £400.
leslawrenson
Regular

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:03 pm

well i got it... this thing is farkin awesome. i used to think it was ok to do everything with soft synths, but this has been the final nail in the coffin of that delusion.
ooooh. say goodbye, social life.

cheers for your input guys, gonna try getting the motif too though, ES for now.... the kurzweil unit looks a little old for my taste, does it still sound great then?
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 pm

how much are those bleedin SRAM cards then? seem really expensive, considering the 2gb USB key I have in my wallet cost me 8 quid... Any tips on a good place to get these?
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Postby Seaforth » Thu May 01, 2008 1:09 am

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:how much are those bleedin SRAM cards then? seem really expensive, considering the 2gb USB key I have in my wallet cost me 8 quid... Any tips on a good place to get these?

Thomann - not a million miles off somewhere round £70, as I recall. If anyone can correct me and point out somewhere to get the right card for a lot less money I'd be chuffed in extremis.

Just checked - a shade under 73 quid from Thomann.
Seaforth
Regular

Postby leslawrenson » Thu May 01, 2008 1:12 am

Touchmaster Oddski wrote:

.... the kurzweil unit looks a little old for my taste, does it still sound great then?

It sounds superb! The VAST technology is extremely flexible, from what I have learned about it so far. One can pretty much get what ever sound one wants.

It's something to consider if you want something with class for not a lot of dosh.
leslawrenson
Regular

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 am

Touchmaster Oddski wrote: the kurzweil unit looks a little old for my taste, does it still sound great then?

For some reason, although these things are STILL praised VERY highly, I never really found the Kurzweil that inspiring. Last time I played on one was in 1993. Maybe if I fiddled again, I'd be transformed.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster

Postby Touchmaster Oddski » Thu May 08, 2008 2:08 pm

in case anyones interested (probably not) I went for both the andromeda and the motif xs 6. Oooh babeee... Im one greedy, but excited synth addict.
Touchmaster Oddski
Poster

Previous