Print • Online • Tablet/Mobile App • Full-Issue PDF • Video • Podcasts
Welcome to Sound On Sound, the world's premier audio recording technology magazine.
Based in Cambridge, England and independently-owned, we've been delivering our high-quality monthly print magazine since 1985. In 1998 we launched our first website and in 2012 our iPad digital edition app. The current website houses our continually-expanding archive of highly-authoritative and respected articles, news and up to the minute in-depth reviews (15,737 so far) that chart the impact of technology on the music production and recording processes.
The Trusted Resource For All Things Audio
Every month our UK/EU/World and North America print magazines and digital edition deliver consistently more pages than any competing title, packed full of in-depth product tests of:
- Recording Systems
- Music Software: DAWs, Virtual Instruments, Plug-ins
- Audio Interfaces
- Synthesizers, Keyboards, Eurorack Modules
- Effects & Outboard Processors
- Preamps & Channel Strips
- Drum Machines & Grooveboxes
- MIDI Controllers
- Monitor Speakers, Headphones & Monitor Controllers
- PA / Live Sound systems
- Music Computers / Tablets
- Samplers & Sample Libraries
- And much more!
Plus the most insightful Musician/ Mix Engineer/ Record Producer interviews you'll read anywhere. Our regular Tutorials and practical 'how to' Masterclasses offer direct, no-nonsense advice, to help you gain the most from your studio tools — whatever your level of expertise.
Sound On Sound is recognised internationally as the 'bible' of the music recording industry and a firm favourite of top record producers, mixing/sound engineers and recording artists. Check out these fabulous industry reader endorsements — all volunteered and we didn't pay any of them!
Sound On Sound - The Independent Voice Of Music Technology
Sound On Sound has consistently remained at the forefront of music recording technology since it was first launched in October 1985 by the visionary SOS Publications Group on the UK's top Channel 4 TV music show, The Tube. For over 35 years, we've been championing the convergence of software, MIDI, computer technology and audio recording equipment that continues to revolutionise the audio production market today.
With undoubtedly the most experienced editorial team to grace any music magazine's staff list, our editorial integrity and professional reputation are highly-prized and internationally respected by both our readership and advertisers alike.
So browse our award-winning web site, search our extensive archive of over 15,640 past articles or swap helpful hints/tips/hacks and chew the proverbial fat with fellow project studio enthusiasts and experts in the ever-popular SOS Forum. Then you will discover why Sound On Sound remains the "yardstick by which all other music recording magazines are measured" [Chicago Tribune newspaper].
- For early SOS issues published between 1985—1993, which are not yet available on our own web site, please visit Mu:zines — the Music Magazine Archive.
GET A FREE COPY
- Never seen a copy of SOUND ON SOUND Print magazine? In 2018, SOS began marketing a downloadable FULL ISSUE PDF for anyone, anywhere in the world, who wants quick and convenient offline access to a full magazine complete with all adverts.
- Alternatively, sign up for our Replica Magazine which we are making free to everyone during the Covid-19 pandemic. Visit www.soundonsound.com/digital-magazine
Try our Full Issue PDF — FREE DOWNLOAD
Click to download a FREE sample magazine in FULL ISSUE PDF format:
These Full Issue PDFs come free with every SOS DIGITAL subscription or can be bought individually from our Shop here.
Sound On Sound has a long tradition of licensing our articles to other publishers around the world. If you wish to talk to us about individual articles or any aspect of the magazine / web site content, please email Dave Lockwood, Editorial Director via our Contact SOS form.
Repurposing SOS Content
Please visit our Guidelines page to find out what is permitted.
Getting In Touch With SOS Staff
- You can contact staff in any department via the same Contact SOS form.
- For Advertising enquiries, please visit this page.