Print • Online • Tablet/Phone App • Full-Issue PDF • Video • Podcasts
Welcome to Sound On Sound, the world's premier audio recording technology magazine.
Based in Cambridge, England and independently-owned, we've been delivering our quality monthly print magazine since 1985. This web site houses our continually-expanding archive of highly informative articles that chart the impact of technology on the music production and recording processes.
Sound On Sound is recognised internationally as the 'bible' of the music recording industry and a firm favourite of top producers, engineers and artists. Check out these fabulous industry reader endorsements — and we didn't pay any of them!
Every month our UK/EU/World and North America editions deliver consistently more pages than any competing title, packed full of in-depth product tests of:
- Recording Systems
- Music Software: DAWs, Virtual Instruments, Plug-ins
- Audio Interfaces
- Synthesizers, Keyboards, Eurorack Modules
- Effects & Outboard Processors
- Mixing Consoles
- Music Computers
Plus the most insightful Musician/ Mix Engineer/ Record Producer interviews you'll read anywhere. Our regular Tutorials and practical 'how to' Masterclasses offer direct, no-nonsense advice, to help you gain the most from your studio tools — whatever your level of expertise.
Sound On Sound has consistently remained at the forefront of music recording technology since it was first launched in October 1985 by the visionary SOS Publications Group on the UK's top Channel 4 TV music show, The Tube. For over 35 years, we've been championing the convergence of software, MIDI, computer technology and audio recording equipment that continues to revolutionise the audio production market today.
With undoubtedly the most experienced editorial team to grace any music magazine's staff list, our editorial integrity and professional reputation are highly-prized and internationally respected by both our readership and advertisers alike.
So browse our award-winning web site, search our extensive archive of over 12,400 past articles or swap helpful hints/tips/hacks and chew the proverbial fat with fellow recording enthusiasts and experts in the ever-popular SOS Forum. Then you will discover why Sound On Sound remains the "yardstick by which all other music recording magazines are measured" [Chicago Tribune newspaper].
- For early SOS issues published between 1985—1994, which are not yet on our web site, please visit Mu:zines — the Music Magazine Archive.
GET A FREE COPY
- Never seen a copy of the Print magazine? In 2018, SOS began marketing a downloadable FULL ISSUE PDF for anyone, anywhere in the world, who wants quick and convenient offline access to a full magazine complete with all adverts.
- Alternatively, sign up for our Replica Magazine which we are making free to everyone during the Covid-19 pandemic. Visit www.soundonsound.com/digital-magazine
Try our Full Issue PDF — FREE DOWNLOAD
Click to download a FREE sample magazine in FULL ISSUE PDF format:
These FI-PDFs come free with an SOS DIGITAL subscription or can be bought individually from our Shop here.
Sound On Sound has a long tradition of licensing our articles to other publishers around the world. If you wish to talk to us about individual articles or any aspect of the magazine / web site content, please email Dave Lockwood, Editorial Director via our Contact SOS form.
Repurposing SOS Content
Please visit our Guidelines page to find out what is permitted.
Getting In Touch
- You can contact staff in any department via the same Contact SOS form.
- For Advertising enquiries, please visit this page.