You are here

Kind of good..but what software?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Kind of good..but what software?

Postby _.jk._ » Sat May 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey. So i probably saw this link here somewhere - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsU3B0W3TMs .

I was wondering what software the guy used?

James

edit: NEVERMIND. Just noticed it actually says in the description :headbang:
_.jk._
Regular

Re: Kind of good..but what software?

Postby Tímo » Sat May 03, 2008 8:07 pm

ModPlug Tracker, as you mentioned.

If you're interested in that workflow, you might like to try www.Renoise.com Same sort of thing (a tracker), but it's bang up-to-date with the modern recording world (ASIO, VST/VST-Instrument, multi-sampling, Midi sequencing, flexible graphic automation, routing, DSP effects, blah blah blah).

Tightly coded, too. The ASIO is great. Am using buffer samples of 64 (1.5ms) on a firewire Traveler without any dropouts or overly huge CPU strain (5%>15% of 2.66GHz quad CPU for demo of Amplitube v2 at 1.5ms latency!). The guys that code Renoise are constantly updating it, and it's a proper community too.
Tímo
Regular
http://Infekted.org ~ Access Virus news & community

Postby Ian Stewart » Sat May 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Another vote for Renoise. The documentation is a bit confusing but you can learn much but studying the demo songs that come with it.
Ian Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby _.jk._ » Sat May 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Sounds really good, I'll take a look! I got the hang of ModTracker pretty quickly. Is Renoise freeware?

James
_.jk._
Regular

Postby Tímo » Sat May 03, 2008 9:23 pm

The demo is fully functional, apart from Wav rendering and ASIO for Windows. For those you'd need to register (was about €50 last time i looked). Registering also gives you free upgrades for the duration of a whole integer version. (say 1.x to 2.x).

I registered years ago though [version 1.23 i think it was]), and the latest Renoise is still only at version 1.91! The coders are generous. Renoise has changed beyond belief since v1.23.
Tímo
Regular
http://Infekted.org ~ Access Virus news & community

Postby _.jk._ » Sun May 04, 2008 1:13 am

really getting in to this tracking malarky!

I wanted to create a piece using only water and metal sounds to correspond with an installation piece I've made, I think it's going well! It's sort of like the group called 'Stomp', don't know if anyone's heard of them?!

James
_.jk._
Regular