You are here

Multi-language manuals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Multi-language manuals

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:23 am

ManFromGlass wrote:You aren’t concerned about your Hive being hacked?

The other week I walked by a large number of people were standing on the street milling about in front of an office tower. Somebody hacked the elevator system and they had to evacuate.

This is the problem with all this s**t technology.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:41 am

It's more a problem with sh*t humans who feel a need to disrupt everything. If everyone was decent, then we wouldn't need virus checkers and firewalls. Or armies. Humans need a firmware update.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am

Wonks wrote:Humans need a firmware update.

Yes, it's ctl-alt-del also known as the "big red button"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am

Arpangel wrote:

The other week I walked by a large number of people were standing on the street milling about in front of an office tower. Somebody hacked the elevator system and they had to evacuate.

Is it? Or is it that humans will always seek to compromise technology for gain, prejudice, or simple devilment. People used to sneak into the Sheffield grinding shops and 'hack' slices through the drive belts to harm the non-union workers...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

Is it? Or is it that humans will always seek to compromise technology for gain, prejudice, or simple devilment. People used to sneak into the Sheffield grinding shops and 'hack' slices through the drive belts to harm the non-union workers...

That's exactly the problem Elf, I just don't know why, knowing all the weak points, we still insist on putting all of our eggs in this one fragile basket called computers.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

That's exactly the problem Elf, I just don't know why, knowing all the weak points, we still insist on putting all of our eggs in this one fragile basket called computers.
Or the internal combustion engine, or the printing press, or... it's not computers that are the problem.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:32 pm

So that's why I couldn't understand how to get the flippery omh inductor to talk to the flump d'esser in Win10 - I have been reading the Finnish bit of the manual DUH!

All technical manuals might as well be written in double-Dutch as far as I'm concerned
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:39 pm

I have quite the collection of user manuals on my Dropbox. If I'm interested in buying something, I get the manual and read it first. If I have a VST simulation of a real physical product, I'll also download the real product's manual and read that too.

I actually enjoy reading manuals more than magazines or books!

I erm... even have manuals of things I haven't bought or are not interested in anymore. Or things I gave away/sold years ago.

:beamup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:41 pm

The Internet of Things is a security sh!tshow manifesting in three fairly simple symptoms:
1) device lifetime is so short for many of these things that by the time the flaw / exploit has been discovered the manufacturer has moved onto the next model. So it's not a problem for them.
2) most users will never even realise that their device has been exploited. And are always chasing the next new thing. So it's not a problem for them.
3) you, personally, are very unlikely to be the victim of a DDOS attack. So it's not a problem for you.
This means there's no market solution because it's an externalised problem. It's nobody's problem so no-one is paying to fix it.

These are just symptoms of course, the real problem is that people are too lazy to secure their devices. And that's a problem as old as time (in one form or another).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 pm

garrettendi wrote:I have quite the collection of user manuals on my Dropbox. If I'm interested in buying something, I get the manual and read it first. If I have a VST simulation of a real physical product, I'll also download the real product's manual and read that too.

I erm... even have manuals of things I haven't bought or are not interested in anymore. Or things I gave away/sold years ago.

You sir, are an example to us all! :D :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:00 pm

And you can buy official Garrettendi anoraks from his website www.sadmanualreader.co.uk :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:05 pm

garrettendi wrote:I erm... even have manuals of things I haven't bought or are not interested in anymore. Or things I gave away/sold years ago.
Same here. mate. In my case I have to have a fighting chance when I'm mentoring, so it pays to keep a collection of the stuff I've encountered over the years. TBH I literally have hundreds of manuals. It's surprising how often I have to go back to stuff I thought I'd left behind decades ago!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:25 pm

garrettendi wrote:I have quite the collection of user manuals on my Dropbox. If I'm interested in buying something, I get the manual and read it first. If I have a VST simulation of a real physical product, I'll also download the real product's manual and read that too.

:oops: me too :oops:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 pm

I like manuals too, after I’ve gotten as far as I can by feel with a piece of gear. Sometimes I’ll sell a piece of gear. I’ll still have the manual, and, the original box it came in. How sad is that? Although I do take good care of my gear. I like clean gear. It almost feels new.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby wireman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:What? :wtf: You mean you actually read the manuals? :o :lolno:

How else would you know that you shouldn't use your toaster in the bath?
wireman
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext