You are here

Small monitors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Small monitors

Postby James Lawford » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Afternoon. As I don’t have a permanent space all my recording would be considered location as is my mix area!

Currently using Focal Spirit Professional headphones which are excellent, but I’m aware of the need to check my midrange balance, general levels, panning and particularly effects which.

I’ll rely on the headphones for bass levels, and use plenty of references including blagging time on some larger monitors for a final check in a decent room. Lucky to be working in pro-audio as my day job. These would be for myself.

Any suggestions for something I can use ultra-close (remove room interactions) suitable for this purpose?l to tell me the truth about the important bits of my mixes?

JBL LSR305P seem good, other options include Presonus Eris and I’m not looking to spend more than about £2-250 for a pair.

Eventually I’ll get a larger pair in a treated room when we do the house extension.

Thanks all.
James Lawford
Poster

Re: Small monitors

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Worth looking at the iLouds, I think they'll come in at your price point.
Another option, which I'll lob out for consideration, is rather than buying a budget pair now and then a better pair later, buy something small but good now.
KH80s are really quite dinky, and if you do subsequently need something with better low end extension you can add the dedicated sub and set it up using the app to get things appropriately phase aligned.

Obviously if this approach doesn't work then please ignore. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Lawford » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Children to feed hence the budget! I’m well aware of quality points but something useful to use in conjunction with headphones is what I need at the moment.
iLoud’s did get a great review in SOS I’ll check them out thanks.
James Lawford
Poster

Postby John Willett » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 am

James Lawford wrote:Children to feed hence the budget!

Give them beans on toast and up the budget. :bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:20 am

The Presonus Eris are good for the money, I bought a pair, but didn’t get on with them and I’ll tell you why.
They sound good, but they all seemed to suffer from quite an intrusive mechanical hum, I assume from a transformer inside, I tried various pairs, and they all had it, and once I knew it was there it became very annoying at normal monitoring distances.
They may have cured that now, but look out for it, as it could become a problem.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby John Egan » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Arpangel wrote:The Presonus Eris are good for the money, I bought a pair, but didn’t get on with them and I’ll tell you why.
They sound good, but they all seemed to suffer from quite an intrusive mechanical hum, I assume from a transformer inside, I tried various pairs, and they all had it, and once I knew it was there it became very annoying at normal monitoring distances.
They may have cured that now, but look out for it, as it could become a problem.

Presonus Eris are good for the money. I used to use E5s and now use E8s. No sign of a hum on mine.
But I also use iLouds and these are impressive, especially when you consider their size.
Don't know the KH80s, but have heard good things about them.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 pm

John Egan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:The Presonus Eris are good for the money, I bought a pair, but didn’t get on with them and I’ll tell you why.

Presonus Eris are good for the money. I used to use E5s and now use E8s. No sign of a hum on mine.
But I also use iLouds and these are impressive, especially when you consider their size.
Don't know the KH80s, but have heard good things about them.
Regards, John

Maybe they’ve cured it John, hope so.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town