You are here

Best Microphone to Record Sounds in Adjacent Room.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Microphone to Record Sounds in Adjacent Room.

Postby gdaigon » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:03 pm

I live in a basement condo in a townhouse complex. Unfortunately, I have a very noisy teenager above me that likes to stomp around like Godzilla, often between 10:30 PM and 11:30 PM. He has been repeatedly told by his parents not to do so but he does not listen. I am attempting to record his stomping and present it as evidence before my condo board to get him kicked out. I bought a Blue Yeti microphone and set up the mic about a foot from my ceiling where the kid stomps around. While the Blue Yeti is very good for recording noise within a room, it is not very good at recording noises in adjacent rooms. Some people have suggested condenser mics or contact mics. Any information on specific mics that would be best suited to record noise in adjacent rooms would be appreciated. If they require a big investment, I would still consider it.
gdaigon

Re: Best Microphone to Record Sounds in Adjacent Room.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:18 pm

You asked this question here before and I'm afraid that CS70's answers then were still valid now.
An omni directional small diaphragm capacitor might give you a better capture, you'd need an AI of some kind as well - you could probably do this for less than $150 - but the single best method of dealing with noisy neighbours is to talk to them.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:58 pm

The sound nuisance is AT YOUR EARS so if the microphone does not deliver a true representation of THAT sound, no one is going to take a blind bit of notice of the recording.

The first question they will ask is "Well, how loud is that in your room?" To answer that you will need a Sound Level Meter (NOT the app in your phone!) and one weighted with a "C" curve which is close to a flat response, ("A" chops a lot of LF) .

THEN! You will have to reproduce the sound at the SPL you get in your room.

I know this because I helped the repro of the shop floor of a nut packing factory in the board room using a Crown DC300A and a pair of Bose pros' Scared the directors witless!

There really is no quick and easy solution but the one thing you must NOT do is retaliate.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:28 pm

ef37a wrote:There really is no quick and easy solution but the one thing you must NOT do is retaliate.

Ah. Then I won't mention the subwoofer + 8hrs of dubstep compilation trick. :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page