You are here

Behringer - legal?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Behringer - legal?

Postby Zukan » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 am

Can someone please enlighten me?

Most people know that I truly abhor plagiarism of every sort. Are Behringer in breach in any shape or form with all these cloned re-releases or do they have licensing agreements in place with the original hardware manufacturers?
Zukan

Re: Behringer - legal?

Postby desmond » Wed May 16, 2018 11:30 am

Pretty sure they won't have licensing agreements - that would increase prices significantly, and B are trying to do this as low cost as possible.

I'm also pretty sure that Uli would have had his lawyers check out the IP and they wouldn't be this far down the line if they legally couldn't do it.

What they can't do without licensing is use brand names of other companies - this is largely what I suspect Korg is paying for with their reissue - the ability to put "ARP" on it and be "official".
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 am

Too many variables.
1) They may have license deals in place for some, none or all of them - we don't know.
2) Licensing what? Design rights vary from 25 years (+ re-registration) to zero depending on which country you're in. Patent, copyright and trade secret laws are similarly variable.
3) And from whom? The designer? The original manufacturer? The new (several times?) owner of the brand?
4) Jurisdiction? The country of manufacturer (original or clone)? The registered headquarters? Whose rules are you following?
5) Finally you get into the question of what is a protectable characteristic (by whatever means), ultimately it's a box with some knobs on does that deserve protection?
And all that's before you get into the moral discussion about whether a smaller company can afford to enter a legal fight with a behemoth like Music Group.

It's another opportunity for Martin's can of worms gif...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 am

blinddrew wrote:It's another opportunity for Martin's can of worms gif...

desmond
Jedi Poster