You are here

Confused about PRS charges...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Confused about PRS charges...

Postby trouserpressface » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been done to death in the past, but I'm confused about the logic of PRS charges.

I'm looking at running a small music festival during the summer and have been told by PRS/PPL that I can expect to have to pay 2.7% of ticket revenue to the PRS.

Now I understand perfectly that band need to a way to get paid for their music being played by others e.g. radio/TV etc. But I'm paying a band to stand on stage and play their own music...why am I paying the PRS to collect royalties on their behalf?

Am I missing something here?

Cheers
James
trouserpressface
New here

Re: Confused about PRS charges...

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:07 pm

trouserpressface wrote:Am I missing something here?

You - like anyone else - are paying for the live performance (they could be playing their own music or someone else's, it's a job and that's what you pay them for). The PRS makes sure that the author and other people who created the music gets some money for their invention. Now if it happens that a band is playing music of which one or all of them hold copyright , they will be paid by you for the performance and also get some revenues from their PRO at some point afterwards, shared among songwriter, lyricist, producers and whatever, people that may not even be on stage.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Confused about PRS charges...

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Worth checking if that also covers licensing for any traders at the event to be playing music/radio etc.
But basically CS70 has covered the fundamental.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...