You are here

Thunderbird 3 cable for Octopus gadget!

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Thunderbird 3 cable for Octopus gadget!

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:06 pm

I got my UAD-2 satellite TB3 Octo Core today, and I had been warned it doesn't include a TB3 Cable. Not to worry I thought, I have one of those, it came with my MBP 2018.

Or so I thought.

In fact it's a USB C Cable. Or is it a USB 3 cable, no matter - it looks (and is) identical, but it isn't. It fits the sockets, but internally it's not the same.

Now if Apple don't supply a TB3 cable, and the suppliers of the TB3 Peripherals dont supply a TB3 cable what does one do?

If one lives in the UK, one supposes that every corner shop has them, so no problem. But if one lives in Banglamung, one is screwed. At least until Lazada (the local Amazon) can source one, which of course they can, but it has to come from overseas, and it will be here by February 28th.

Studio 7, the Apple approved resellers, do NOT stock TB3 Cables. I have a supplier in Bangkok who thinks he might be able to source one, but I have to be patient.

What with Catalina and Steinberg still poles apart, and now this, I rue the day I bought the latest MBP. I understand they have released a new 2019 much better attempt and with a bigger screen! and Catalina, and Thunderbird 3 sockets, I can't tell you how tempted I'm not.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: !

Postby Mrs Trellis » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Congratulations! You have won an award for the shortest post subject ever used in the Sound On Sound forums. The prize, a beautifully hand crafted Thunderbolt 3 cable, is available for collection from our Cambridge offices.

Mrs Trellis
Mrs Trellis
Poster
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Iechyd da!

Postby Agharta » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm

USB Type~C is just the name of the connector and is even used with USB 2.0 devices at times.
This leads to much confusion unfortunately.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FrankF » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Mrs Trellis wrote:Congratulations! You have won an award for the shortest post subject ever used in the Sound On Sound forums. The prize, a beautifully hand crafted Thunderbolt 3 cable, is available for collection from our Cambridge offices.

Mrs Trellis

Technically yes, that's correct, Mrs Trellis. However, an un-dotted exclamation mark, also known as a lower-case L (or possibly a 1: well-spotted, Mr Puty!), would in fact be even shorter still. But not as short as un-exclaimed dot, obviously, which is sometimes referred to as a demi-umlaut, (or "omlud" if you're Swedish, indeed, quite right, Mr Spigot!).

Best regards
Mrs Pedant Cholmondeley-Scum
FrankF
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Agharta wrote:USB Type~C is just the name of the connector and is even used with USB 2.0 devices at times.
This leads to much confusion unfortunately.

Yep. It's also used in some cases as a power cable...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm

With the intent to simplify, with USB-C they've just made it complicated in a different way.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:With the intent to simplify, with USB-C they've just made it complicated in a different way.
Hooray for progress!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:58 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I got my UAD-2 satellite TB3 Octo Core today, and I had been warned it doesn't include a TB3 Cable.

What on earth is the rationale for not supplying a cable that almost every user of the product will need? :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Martin Walker wrote:What on earth is the rationale for not supplying a cable that almost every user of the product will need? :headbang:

They are expensive.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby MOF » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:35 pm

I had the same problem, I thought my local Apple authorised reseller would have them but I was told they’re not stock items (and I thought that’s where the most profit is made, on peripherals) then nearby at John Lewis’ the same reply. I ended up ordering it at Curry’s for next day collection.
You do need a proper Thunderbolt 3 cable for connecting anything that then loops through to other devices, also in my reading up on the subject I found that some USB3 cables (same type C connectors) are wired just for charging a device, others are wired for data. All very confusing.
My cable was for an Apollo X4, their website specified a Thunderbolt 3 cable (I understand there are active components in the cable, hence its greater cost) , in theory I could have used a USB 3 data cable, as it has its own power supply, but I wasn’t prepared to experiment, I wanted to get on with using it.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:26 pm

desmond wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:What on earth is the rationale for not supplying a cable that almost every user of the product will need? :headbang:

They are expensive.

They are indeed, RS start at £33 for 50cm up to £70+ for 3m :cry:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:21 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:With the intent to simplify, with USB-C they've just made it complicated in a different way.
Hooray for progress!
Do I recall a thread where I was told this kind of thing wouldn't happen with USB-C? ;) :ugeek: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:52 pm

To be fair to the USB people they came up with USB C and then Intel and Apple decided to use it for Thunderbolt so not really their fault.

Thunderbolt was always designed to be a container for other protocols rather than a protocol in its own right. Thus the orginal Thunderbolt 1 functioned as both a video connection and a storage connection because it could accommodate both Displayport and PCIe protocols. So making Tbolt 3 accommodate USB 3.1 and then putting it through the USB C connector must have been quite easy to accomplish and a strong move to make Tbolt 3 actually survive. After all while Tbolt required its own connector (well Displayport but you know what I mean) why should motherboard makers accommodate it? But once it can be accommodated through the USB C ports they were going to put on anyway then it must seem like a no-brainer to do it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Worst thread title ever, the contents is TLDR but seems to be a complaint; the culprit can't have committed a worser crime than this :protest:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Um ... really? Mrs Trellis seemed to like it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Agharta » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:28 pm

Once people grasp that USB-C is just a connector type and they need to ascertain what the actual controller behind an individual port is and what features are implemented per port, it becomes relatively easier.
The fact that there is a super-set of optional features does complicate things though; alt-modes, high power charging.
Plus, the USB naming convention is ridiculous. E.g. USB 3.2 Gen 2x2.
Apparently, USB 4.0 will fully incorporate TB3, TB3 will be renamed to TB4 with possibly no changes!
That should really help to clarify things. :D

ConcertinaChap wrote:After all while Tbolt required its own connector (well Displayport but you know what I mean) why should motherboard makers accommodate it? But once it can be accommodated through the USB C ports they were going to put on anyway then it must seem like a no-brainer to do it.
The much more complex part of TB3 is accommodating the actual TB3 chip that is required.
By comparison, adding the connector is trivial.

Intel have started incorporating a TB3 controller directly into the CPU now though which seems too little too late what with USB 4.0 on the horizon.
I guess it was due about 2 years ago but with all their manufacturing woes it missed its relevancy window.
Still better than using a discrete chip for 2020 laptops as not sure when USB 4.0 will become fully integrated.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Sorted!

Apple Store Bangkok has Belkin TB3 Cables in stock.

I could go pick one up which is a Three hour drive each way plus parking in Bangkok, plus traffic in Bangkok, Plus Highway Tolls, OR I could have them deliver for free!

I picked Deliver for Free - arriving Tuesday 4th.

Please note: The ( ! ) subject title was NOWT TO DO WITH ME.

I think my subject was something like "Thunderbird 3 cable for Octopus gadget" but for some reason this must have been rejected by the flippancy algorithm, which perhaps unsurprisingly supplanted the title with a ! , an action which itself may have warranted intervention by a sarcasm algorithm, had one been included in the filter.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Please note: The ( ! ) subject title was NOWT TO DO WITH ME.

I think my subject was something like "Thunderbird 3 cable for Octopus gadget" but for some reason this must have been rejected by the flippancy algorithm...

Changed it for you HDT on your original post ;)

And well done in tracking down that cable - hope you didn't have to sell an organ to pay for it :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:21 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Howdy Doody Time wrote:Please note: The ( ! ) subject title was NOWT TO DO WITH ME.

I think my subject was something like "Thunderbird 3 cable for Octopus gadget" but for some reason this must have been rejected by the flippancy algorithm...

Changed it for you HDT on your original post ;)

And well done in tracking down that cable - hope you didn't have to sell an organ to pay for it :beamup:

Martin

1900 Baht inclusive of shipping! not bad. 46 quid and change. I nearly bought 2 which is my habit with cables, one for the spares box, but I couldn't imagine where I'd need another one.

It can be difficult here just tracking down a shop. Bangkok is a huge sprawling city where lots of people speak English - they just don't tend to be shop assistants. Driving there on the off chance doesn't make sense. Guess what worked? Google! It recommended the Apple Store Online. Marvellous Innit?

By the way I've written to Mrs Trellis explaining the situation and declining the prize due to my non-authorship of the title. I hope this draws a veil of delicacy over the entire matter.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Re: Thunderbird 3 cable for Octopus gadget!

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:25 am

Even on the recent Steinberg AXR4-U launch promo vid, they claimed that it was a 'USB C" device when really they meant 'USB 3'. last years TB version is also a USB C device too.

If the manufacturers can't maintain clarity, what hope do us poor mortals have?!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Next