You are here

Cautiously Optimistic

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Cautiously Optimistic

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:57 am

Just checked for the first time in a while and -

Steinberg is now saying Nuendo 10.2 is compatible with Catalina and -

Catalina is also updating itself right now (27 minutes left)

All may be well!

:D
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Cautiously Optimistic

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:44 am

Well, the Mac was particularly aggressive about letting me install the 10.2.10 Nuendo update, a variation on the usual message I haven't seen before said this software is incompatible with Catalina and requires an update from the provider. It took a couple of "open it anyway" requests before it would install.

Worryingly though, when I opened Nuendo, the Hub still states "We recommend not updating to Catalina until further notice"

Also I get a USB licensing error to the effect that something is wrong because "failed to send get-info command" However ignoring that seems to allow Nuendo to boot up.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby BJG145 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:10 am

There's a couple of ideas here if that persists...

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171501
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:02 am

BJG145 wrote:There's a couple of ideas here if that persists...

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171501

A quick look at that seems to indicate the e-licenser software is 32 bit, which is why it is throwing up an error in Cataclysma. So while Nuendo may be 10.15 compliant, the e-licenser is not. However, as long as it lets me in, who cares.

Thanks for the link
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:14 pm

There's a surprising amount of software that is 64 bit but has 32 bit installers, as I found when I reinstalled everything under Mojave. Once it's in it's OK and should be fine if I upgrade to Catalina but that won't permit reinstalls. Not, IMHO, Apple's fault, they've been warning about this long enough, but rather careless behaviour by the software developers. How difficult can a 64 bit installer be, for God's sake! Surely it's just a recompile?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:18 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:There's a surprising amount of software that is 64 bit but has 32 bit installers, as I found when I reinstalled everything under Mojave. Once it's in it's OK and should be fine if I upgrade to Catalina but that won't permit reinstalls. Not, IMHO, Apple's fault, they've been warning about this long enough, but rather careless behaviour by the software developers. How difficult can a 64 bit installer be, for God's sake! Surely it's just a recompile?

CC

It may be that the 64 bit version (of the installer) has a problem - hence the comment on the linked thread which said something like install the previous usb licenser unless you already upgraded to Catalina, the inference being of course Catalina won't run a 32bit installer.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster