You are here

Is my Amp Technician over-charging me?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Is my Amp Technician over-charging me?

Postby Janneman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 am

Did you complain to the repairman?
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Platypus9 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:08 am

No, I didn't complain. It's his prerogative to charge more than other reputable techs, and I don't believe he was dishonest about it. I had heard that he was affordable, but I should have asked his rates before choosing him.
As a consolation prize, I learned quite a bit from this thread.
Platypus9
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 am

£70.00 an hour is certainly strong but as I said, I paid more than that for about an hour's time from the gas man.

You perhaps have to look at charges in the context of your own position? I well recall a lady in a large, modern detached house, double garage, Merc on the drive, moaning like a drain at the £37 (inc VAT) service charge on her VCR. In a moment of acute fedupness I asked her what she thought her husband earned an hour. Naturally she went ballistic and threatened to call my boss and complain. Since I had already been made redundant (closing the Npton workshop) and had my "package" I said "That of course is your right."

Then of course there is "Market Forces" and consumer choice!

Of that $90 I dare say he will bank less than half that when overheads and taxes are calculated. Such earnings are in line with car mechanics, electricians and other skilled people and a LOT of people earn a LOT more sitting on their A's doing little good for any bugger! Why should amp techs live in penury?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 am

Platypus9 wrote:No, I didn't complain. It's his prerogative to charge more than other reputable techs, and I don't believe he was dishonest about it. I had heard that he was affordable, but I should have asked his rates before choosing him.

True -- always wise to get an estimate first... but personally, I'd rather pay a little over the odds based on a personal recommendation from other satisfied customers just for the confidence of knowing the guy is doing a very good job, rather than try and save a few bucks and then have the worry of whether the repair is actually up to scratch.

I've seen a lot of bodges in my time... Genuinely good techs are hard to find!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Billed time seems pretty honest, and fairly efficient, the rates are, not as unreasonable as some....

I pay my Car dealer more than that for servicing/repairs .

I'm not nearly as attached to my car as I am my Guitars and amps ;)

often you find those quoting cheaper headline rates billing longer times, or adding other costs asa back door means to make a buck.

These days my freelance work is limited, but I charge about £50 an hour Plus expenses.... and I am considered cheap , excellent value for money, apparently..... I haven;t put my rates up for about 15 years..... maybe I should....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:Billed time seems pretty honest, and fairly efficient, the rates are, not as unreasonable as some....

I pay my Car dealer more than that for servicing/repairs .

I'm not nearly as attached to my car as I am my Guitars and amps ;)

often you find those quoting cheaper headline rates billing longer times, or adding other costs asa back door means to make a buck.

These days my freelance work is limited, but I charge about £50 an hour Plus expenses.... and I am considered cheap , excellent value for money, apparently..... I haven;t put my rates up for about 15 years..... maybe I should....

I would say a 20% increase is well justified. The fact is that service work used to be subsidised from front of shop sales. These days none of the big retailers have any kind of in house service techs and their sales staff are usually woefully ignorant (not really their fault. They are paid **** and no time is allowed for training or indeed any given.)

But then everybody is chasing the last penny off on the internet.

I know from the One Man Band TV techs that have setup and gone in the last 20yrs just in my town that it is VERY hard to make a decent living fixing things. I know of just a couple of survivors and one of those had a wife in full time employment with the council. The other ran his business at home AND at the workshop I was at! Got away with it for years!

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous