You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:29 pm

I can’t imagine what it’s like choosing your DAW these days as there are so many options. Remembering back to the dinosaur age when I chose one there were fewer choices but I think the main influence was what friends were using, plus there were clubs of like minded people to attend once a week. There was Club Cubase and the Atari Club.
The downside with the internet is that you can’t ask questions and somebody will show you how they did something right away.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:58 pm

I just clocked that they're making an Octave Cat clone now?!? I mean at this rate they'll me making a clone of *me*, only without any legs. :headbang:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby MOF » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:44 pm

The downside with the internet is that you can’t ask questions and somebody will show you how they did something right away.

I don’t understand this statement. This forum is very quick to reply and the clubs you attended were weekly.

Choosing a DAW is easier than in the old days as you can download a time limited trial version of most DAWs now, plus there are plenty of forums to join and YouTube videos to get guidance/instruction.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:28 am

Some updates on the Bolina.
It's in the PCB design phase, and firmware is being written (FPGA's will be used for the divide-down circuitry I believe). They show off a Mk. 4 Solina (which is supposedly the worst sounding of all the revisions) but their module will be based on the Mk. 2.
A small stone clone will be integral to the design and some controls, notably sustain, will have more range. and naturally, al analogue parts of the Solina will be analogue on the Bolina!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV0XBmE ... e=youtu.be
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 am

Nice. Four octaves or module this time, I hope.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby N i g e l » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:55 pm

The Elf wrote:Nice. Four octaves or module this time, I hope.

that upside down keybed/prototype on his bench looks to be 4 octaves ?

Is the Solina the all time best string synth ?
Here is a good place to compare

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... og-strings

what do you think ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:13 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Isn't that still the original? He just flipped the keyboard over for part of the video. Last mock-up I saw was a module.

N i g e l wrote:Is the Solina the all time best string synth?
I like the ARP Quartet (Siel Orchestra) and Roland RS-202. The VP-330 takes some beating too, something that the VC340 takes good care of. This said I use my string synths very sparingly, and way, way high, so I have my own take of what makes a great string synth.

The Logan - ugh! Had it, loathed it, ditched it.

I have a plethora of samples from every string synth I ever met, but getting the chorus just right is incredibly tough.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:17 pm

MOF wrote:

I don’t understand this statement. This forum is very quick to reply and the clubs you attended were weekly.

I could have expressed that better. The forums are fantastic but nothing like peering over somebody’s shoulder while they do their moves and being able to ask questions. Even once a week the one on ones were very useful for dealing with the list of saved questions.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:23 pm

I can't say I'm much of a stringer fan - when I grew up and got into music in the 80s, that sound was already old and outdated, and I wasn't listening to much music that used them (probably only heard that stringer sound on JMJ's Oxygene), so I was never particularly fond of that sound - and one that was already a compromise to obtain polyphony due to technical and cost limitations...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 pm

If I was to pick out a string synth part that slays me it is in the opening section of 'Ommadawn' by Mike Oldfield (at around 1:15).

Thick string synth chords don't do much for me - they always sound as if a decent polysynth patch would serve better! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:01 pm

The Elf wrote:
N i g e l wrote:
Isn't that still the original? He just flipped the keyboard over for part of the video. Last mock-up I saw was a module.

Yes you are totally right. I must have had some strong cheese in my lunchtime sandwiches !

this pic is a year old rendition .....

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby tea for two » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 am

Ive just been to Golders Green Jewish part of London where I lived three years
to look at Purim festival : fancy dress, cosplay : one of my favourite festivals.

You should know how some Elderly hunched over Grandmas who have experienced so much antisemetism to teens in schools so many still feel fear when something happens against them.

For those who are not Jewish haven't lived amongst Jewish people it is difficult to appreciate this.

Similarly for someone not black or brown or chinese or whichever we wont get the racism they feel.

Looking at Peter Kirn's photos this drawing of him on behringer knock off cork sniffer looks Nothing like him.
It looks as a mix of pinocchio and antisemetic drawings.

Something as this the overall Jewish folks in Golders Green, Stamford Hill wont be aware of unless the free Jewish News publishes an article on it.

A marketing department has its Chief Marketing Officer : everything has to go through a CMO the CMO had to okay it.

I can say theres so many smart yet insensitive thoughtless culturally unaware 20-30somethings in tech companies all over the world. One or more of them in Behringer would have knocked up cork sniffer.

A CEO is typically uninvolved. CEO will usually see it after the event.

Mel Brooks is the only person could got away with this but Mel is humurous as well as educates viewers as to antisemetism
From SapceBalls " May the Schwartz be with you"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pPkWZdluoUg
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby Agharta » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 am

Why would you expect a 20 to 30 year old working in marketing for a German company to have the same perception of a modern day cartoon as a Jewish woman in her 80s or 90s living in London?
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even get the dominant Pinocchio reference let alone one dating back to the days of their great grandparents.
Unless of course Disney released a Pinocchio film in the last twenty or so years.
If their boss was ten or twenty years older it just means they weren't aware of their grandparents era in much detail as opposed to their great grandparents.

I think this whole attitude of taking offence where there is no or little evidence of intention is counter productive.
I think if anything it reinforces or encourages prejudice.
It reminds me of the seemingly coordinated effort to stain legitimate criticism of the Israeli political system as being anti-semitic.
I really dislike a lot of political systems including those in my own country.
That doesn't mean I hate British people.
With regard to Israel and anti-semitism, due to what seems to be a lobby that tries to tar people who criticise Israel as being anti-semitic, I am more likely to downplay anti-semitic claims unless there is a strong consensus which is the opposite of what I see here.
Hence why I say it is counterproductive to cry wolf.
I think it must be very difficult to be Jewish in many countries, I feel for you.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you; some clearly are.
But paranoia is a mental illness and has negative consequences.
The truth will set us free.
I really don't think crying wolf is healthy.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm

My mother was Jewish, I’m aware that that makes me Jewish.
I lived in Golders Green for a few years, I am now, no longer a "practicing" member of the Jewish community.
Maybe it’s me, but I’m not touched in any way by this Behringer thing, it’s not even worth getting annoyed about.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby DGL. » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:50 pm

New video on the System 55 modular clones, goes in to a bit more technical detail. Confirms modules will be eurorack compatible (V-Trig) mostly with only a couple of modules having S-Trig. Most modules will use discrete circuitry with not even an Op-Amp in sight.
Plus modules will work internally on +12/-6 like the originals with modules having onboard conversion from the standard +12/-12 used by eurorack modules/PSU's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0caZHe_4Og

Plus a new unknown/blurred out device in this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQqUBIOoA8

Lastly I now have a RD-8 and love it, such a bargain for what you get, esp. when you consider it's at least 10% of the cost of buying an original unit (Andertons £279 delivered!). Plus goes nicely with the TD-3.
Updating it was a bit of a pain as my laptop did not seem to want to do it, even following all the instructions (synth tool updates work fine though), another laptop (both running W10) worked fine.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext