You are here

The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 am

Martin Walker wrote:Quite right too Tony! ;)

That approach certainly didn't do Brian Eno any harm either.

Martin

I was talking to my partner yesterday about how what seem like minor, random events can change a whole life, and it’s easy to read in more than what actually happened, to think there was some "grand plan"
Eno used the VCS3 because it was there, it could easily have been a Buchla, an ARP, or a Moog, but it was the only synth available to him, it was owned by Andy Mackay, Eno didn’t have any money to buy anything at the time.
He ended up using it a lot, so stuck with it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Pabs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Tony,

I thought you might be interested in this. Its free!

"Pendulate’s chaotic oscillator is matched with a wavefolder and low pass gate, inspired by the ideas of Don Buchla"

https://www.eventideaudio.com/promo/pen ... FV9igmayo4
Pabs
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:02 am

Pabs wrote:Tony,

I thought you might be interested in this. Its free!

"Pendulate’s chaotic oscillator is matched with a wavefolder and low pass gate, inspired by the ideas of Don Buchla"

https://www.eventideaudio.com/promo/pen ... FV9igmayo4

Thanks for that, I might use it as inspiration for my modular.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm

An addition to the talk about the VCS3, one reason it was popular was because it was cheap (although still quite expensive compared to what the same amount of money could buy/compared to the average weekly wage), esp. when compared to the minimoog so it got a lot of users that way, plus it was essentially a self contained modular so was more flexible that the minimoog whilst still being portable, it's cheapness was probably the main reason why it was so wierd.

And talking about using it as a weird noise machine, that's what JMJ used it for a lot of the time (and of course had a few of both the VCS3 and later AKS).
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:58 pm

DGL. wrote:An addition to the talk about the VCS3, one reason it was popular was because it was cheap (although still quite expensive compared to what the same amount of money could buy/compared to the average weekly wage), esp. when compared to the minimoog so it got a lot of users that way, plus it was essentially a self contained modular so was more flexible that the minimoog whilst still being portable, it's cheapness was probably the main reason why it was so wierd.

And talking about using it as a weird noise machine, that's what JMJ used it for a lot of the time (and of course had a few of both the VCS3 and later AKS).

I paid £500 for my VCS in 1975, I soon wanted a Mini Moog to compliment it, they were very different machines and I could see a use for both. I used to hire out both machines to a local studio.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 pm

An update from Behringer regarding the RD-8/9 basically they are redoing most of the firmware for the RD-8 as not only do they know it has issues but they would also like it to integrate with synth tool, once that is done then the RD-9 should be ready to ship as they share most of the firmware and as such this has been the primary delay with the RD-9.

Behringer FB wrote:RD-8 Bug Fixes / RD-9 Update
We are aware that the RD-8 needs improvement related to MIDI sync. We have decided to rewrite most of the firmware so we can also integrate the unit with the SynthTool and offer other very cool improvements.
As for the RD-9, much of the RD-8 firmware is shared and once the update is completed, we will also be able to ship the RD-9.
We apologize to keep you waiting but we simply don’t compromise on quality.
Thank you for your patience and support!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:30 pm

Just got my RD-6, went for the light blue translucent which looks nice, it's not all blue as the bottom half of the clamshell is clear/frosted. Just got to get the TD-3 in translucent blue to go with it!
Sounds alright, though I haven't got an original nor have I heard an original in isolation to know what it should sound like.

Haven't tried programming it yet but one unexpected feature is the added DR110 clap is in addition to the cymbal even though it shares the same volume knob/output/position on the instrument selector. The added switch that switches from cymbal to clap selects which one you are programming not which of the two sounds is outputted/used so you can have both clap and cymbal in the sequence, it not clap or cymbal like some instruments on the RD-8/TR-808.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Pro-800 is destined for January, apparently...

8-voice version of the Prophet-600...

desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Folderol » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Hmmm. Disappointing about that membrane keypad. They are a well known weak spot.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Folderol wrote:Hmmm. Disappointing about that membrane keypad. They are a well known weak spot.

Indeed... but there is a solution for that:

However, given that the Berry will roll in at around 25% (at a rough guess, I'm not certain) of the price of a Prophet-6 Desktop it's a compromise many will be happy to accept. It's certainly bringing some classic capabilities to a market that couldn't otherwise access them and for that it's to be applauded.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 pm

They're talking about $600, apparently...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:26 pm

desmond wrote:They're talking about $600, apparently...

Not a million miles off but a bit more than 25% even - the Sequential is $2,199 or thereabouts. Many would prefer the Sequential despite the fact it has 6 rather than 8 voices, and it's undoubtedly going to have a better build quality and longer lifespan but it's completely understandable that the Pro-800 will sell in large numbers.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Yes, the old P-600 is hovering about £1500-1700 these days, and it occurred to me recently that it, and the Korg Prologues/Minilogue are the only 2-VCO polysynths costing less than £2k now. That I could think of anyway. Vintage or new.

So yeah, 600 quid would be most welcome!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby resistorman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:02 am

Just buy a Hydrasynth :bouncy:
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:44 pm

resistorman wrote:Just buy a Hydrasynth :bouncy:

;) :thumbup:

nathanscribe wrote:....the Korg Prologues/Minilogue are the only 2-VCO polysynths costing less than £2k now. .....

Korg Prologue has 2 VCOs but also a 3rd [digital] Osc which can be programmed in "C" to your wildest dreams, x16. SDK is available.
Or u can download someone elses Osc design !
( Prologue is a bit low on modulation tho and limited filter modes ? )

membrane touch panels are unreliable

but probably cheap to replace, if you buy when they are still in production ?
How has the Moog Source touch panel faired over the years ???
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext