You are here

mixed time signatures

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

mixed time signatures

Postby sixtysixmix » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:22 pm

hi,

Self-taught here, so forgive me is this is an easy one.

I have composed a piece which has a repeating cycle of 3 bars of 3/4 and followed by 2 bars of 2/2 (or one 4/4)

so it goes: [1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2,3],[1,2],[1,2]

If I have to score that do I have to break those time signatures on every line through the piece? Or is there a way of indicating a pattern?
Or is there a way to combine to one more complex time signature?

Thanks,
sixtysixmix
Regular
Producer/Mixer/composer Gear: Logic Pro X on a 2013 MacBookPro 16Gb Ram. External 4Tb drive. RND 5060, 2 x Apollo 8, Audient ASP880, Adam A7X monitors, Avantones, way too few mics.
Dublin studio build starting May 2017!

Re: mixed time signatures

Postby Scramble » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:45 pm

You could have it as a bar of 13/8. Personally I would probably score it as 3/4 for three bars, then changing to 2/4 for two bars, then back to 3/4, and keep repeating that. That is a hassle but it makes the rhythm and accents more obvious. (it might also be a hassle to convert it to 13/8 if you've already written it out with a crotchet base and you have to change that to quavers).

Kind of depends on the music, though. Sometimes it seems more appropriate to have a quaver base, in which case you might go for 13/8, sometimes it seems more appropriate to have a crotchet base.

The point of a score for me is to make it obvious to someone else what to play. So I try to go for whatever helps the player understand the piece and the rhythms/accents. This is especially important when it's your own piece that no-one knows. If it's a score for a well-known piece of music then the player already knows what it's supposed to sound like, but if you're giving someone something they don't know and there's no music they can listen to then there's no point taking shortcuts, you need to make it clear to them how to play it, and make it easy to play (and no-one really likes seeing a bar of 13/8).

But even if you scored it in 13/8 you could put an instruction at the start about where the accents should be.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Here are three possibilities. A is the "right" way. I suggest you do it the right way. Which would you rather read?

(Whoops! it should be 13/4. But I'm not re-making it now :blush: )

Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby sixtysixmix » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:16 pm

Thanks people!

As I'm generating the score from Logic, I'll do it like version A. I can easily set up blocks with the tempo changes and copy paste through the piece.

What I wasn't sure of is if there was some other notation or tempo mapping I was unaware of.
sixtysixmix
Regular
Producer/Mixer/composer Gear: Logic Pro X on a 2013 MacBookPro 16Gb Ram. External 4Tb drive. RND 5060, 2 x Apollo 8, Audient ASP880, Adam A7X monitors, Avantones, way too few mics.
Dublin studio build starting May 2017!