You are here

MIDI over internet (or LAN)

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

MIDI over internet (or LAN)

Postby zr6ryo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

I wrote a program to transmit midi over internet/LAN for a friend that wants to use it for piano teaching live and using Skype + this software. Before I give this to her to use, I need to test it but don't know anyone with a USB connected keyboard that uses Windows. Anyone interested in helping to test - I just need 1 person. Due to internet latency issues, there's no way to do this realtime but depending on your speed, it can be "real-enough-time" . Any music teachers out there who are interested? My timezone is Pretoria/South Africa but I am flexible and can do this at any time day or night.
zr6ryo

Re: MIDI over internet (or LAN)

Postby Agharta » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:28 am

Aren't there already protocols for that?
What would be required to take part in your testing in terms of installing software on a Windows PC?
Do you have a website?
I am not sure that it is wise to test with just one person!
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zr6ryo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 am

Hi Agharta. Thanks for the reply. There are protocols for this (far better than mine) but as I understand it, they will only function over LAN and not internet (I may be wrong). Plus this allows me to customize it to her specifications (visual keyboard and piano roll). And yes, testing should be more than 1 person but I am really trying to see if it will work over internet as opposed to LAN. It has been tested on LAN (54 megabit) quite well. So I'm sure it's working perfectly - but unsure how it will perform over a much slower internet. And I am wondering how Skype will slow it down as well. As for testing terms - just somebody (friendly) with Windows and a USB connected keyboard - it should literally take a few minutes and I can chat with them over Skype while we both play a few notes. There's no big legal deal here and is very informal. The software is protected, so it's not like I'm worried about it ending up on torrent sites. And sorry, no web site for this (yet) - I first want to see if it's useful/usable.
zr6ryo

Postby Pianoalchemist » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm interested in testing your software and if it works licensing it please message me or add me to Skype. My Skype is earthgrid. You can hear my music on the earthgrid.com home page
Pianoalchemist