Berlin-based software developers u-he have released Bazille 1.0 for Mac OS X and Window (VST, AU & AAX). Bazille is billed as a digital modular synth, mixing the traditional analogue modular model with some digital enhancements. The virtual patching that it employs isn't aesthetically a million miles from the back of the rack in Reason, and that's no bad thing.
The synth is available now at the introductory price of $89 (+ sales tax in the EU) until October 15. Thereafter, the regular price is $129.
At Bazille’s core are four digital oscillators which offer simultaneous frequency modulation (FM) and phase distortion (PD), and well as the less familiar fractal resonance (FR).
Surrounding the oscillators are the usual suspects to help you control and shape your sound: four analogue style filters, two LFOs, four envelope generators and four modelled audio effects.
Where it diverges from the norm is with its two mapping generators. With up to 128 editable values, the maps are suitable for waveshaping, for adding per-note irregularities, for custom oscillator waveforms and more.
Like all true modular systems, Bazille lets you plug any output into any input for maximum flexibility while creating sounds. Although it can take some time to get comfortable with modular systems such as Bazille, the payoffs are definitely worth it. To help ease you into the world of modular patching, u-he have included over 1700 presets, so you should be up and running in no time.
U-he have a history of creating software that doesn’t slavishly emulate old machines, but takes the best elements and adds a few novel ideas. Bazille continues this tradition, pushing the concept of what a modular synthesizer should be.
Bazille specs (from u-he):
- multichannel MIDI support (for note expression)
- user interface zoom in 10% steps
- 4 digital oscillators with simultaneous FM (frequency modulation), PD (phase distortion) and FR (fractal resonance)
- 4 multimode analogue-type filters with up to 6 parallel outputs each (4 x lowpass, bandpass, highpass)
- 4 built in effects:
- stereo delay with feedback filters
- tube and transistor style distortion
- two classic phaser models
- realistic spring reverb with shake effect
- 2 LFOs with 3 parallel outputs each
- 4 ADS(S)R type envelope generators
- signal processors: Inverter, rectifier, sample & hold, lag generators and quantizer
- 2 mapping generators (multi-purpose value lists)
- morphing sequencer: 8 slots of up to 16 steps, divisible into smaller units via the 4 taps • 2 synchronizable ramp generators
- 4 “multiplex” modules for signal mixing, ring modulation, amplitude modulation etc.
- pink and white noise generator
- comprehensive tuning and portamento controls
- voice stacking, with individual detuning up to +/- 2 octaves
- single-page alternative skin included
- microtuning support (.tun files)
- over 1700 presets