With an ever-expanding choice of controllers to turn your modular system into a performance instrument, it's always worth remembering tried-and-tested classics, such as the joystick. A joystick supplies an element much-appreciated in the modular world (joy) as well as giving tactile, intuitive control over synth parameters.
Thanks to its multi-axis approach, Intellijel's Planar 2 offers more than traditional designs. It sports two independent groups of outputs; an ABCD quadrant set and the more regular XY. There's a gate generator button for triggering envelopes and the like, and to round things off, a Gesture Recorder is ready to capture those joyful wiggles and turn them into hands-free modulation sources.
My first impression was of a high–quality, great-feeling joystick; smooth in operation but staying exactly where it's put when you stop. The connections are sensibly positioned at the top, leaving a clear working space for fingers. It's a...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...