Sonar is dead, long live Cakewalk by Bandlab! We run through some of its top features.
Now that the equivalent of Sonar Platinum (minus the third-party add-ons) is available as a free download from bandlab.com, in the form of Cakewalk by BandLab, it’s not surprising that a lot of people are checking it out.
Although Cakewalk on its own lacks some of Sonar Platinum’s bundled plug-ins and instruments (see 'Spot The Difference' box), what’s most important is that you can now get Platinum’s functionality completely free. Cakewalk has quite a few features that are rare at best, and some you won’t find anywhere else. So if you’re just getting started with it — or if you missed out on these when using Sonar — here are some of my favourite features. To find out more about them, go to www.soundonsound.com/techniques/software/daw/sonar, and review the columns written about these topics when they were part of Sonar.
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.