If you're looking for mics that'll handle almost any recording task without breaking the bank, Lewitt's newest offerings could be just the thing.
Sometimes you need a mic with a flat response, but at other times a boost in the high end can be helpful — and Lewitt's LCT 140 Air is designed to cater for both situations. With a fixed cardioid polar pattern, the mic employs a back-electret capsule that is 17mm in diameter. Though back-electret mics don't require a separate supply to charge the capsule, both the LCT 140 Air and the LCT 040 Match, also reviewed here, still require 48V (±4V) phantom power to drive the on-board electronics.
The LCT 140 Air has a number of selectable responses, chosen using three recessed slide switches on the side of the body. The one nearest the capsule changes the mic's voicing from flat to 'Air' mode, which brings in a presence lift around 10kHz. The other two switches are more familiar: one introduces an 80Hz, second–order low-cut filter, the other a 12dB pad.
The mic is very nicely constructed, with a lightweight aluminium body and a tough wire–mesh grille (both finished in satin black), and a prominent green Lewitt logo near the base of the body. Overall length is 140mm, the diameter is 24mm and the weight is just 66g. The output is on gold-plated XLR pins....
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...