We explore some alien soundscapes, courtesy of Slate + Ash's Auras...
Auras, by Slate + Ash, is described as an MPE-capable sample library that "explores the realm of musical sounds that are formless or undefinable in nature". They would at least seem to be definable in NI's Kontakt sample player, and you'll need to source that for yourself — Auras comes as a set of Kontakt 'Multis' alongside 9GB of sample data. You'll also need the full version of Kontakt (5.6.5 or higher), the free Kontakt Player won't do.
From reading the overview on the Slate + Ash website, it's not actually that clear whether Auras is a sample library, an instrument, or a carefully curated set of interactive sound pieces. As far as I can tell, what you get for your money is a combination of all three: each of the 60 or so Kontakt multi-programs is a rich, multicoloured and highly dynamic sonic atmosphere. Many of the programs are notionally tuned, but there's often too much going on for you to have a chance of picking out a convincing root tone, so you may have to be content with swirling chordal structures, at which the Auras library excels.
When it comes to the editing interface for the programs, Slate + Ash have gone for simple, minimal macro-style controls for shaping the sounds. (For more detailed editing, the rest of Kontakt is available to you...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...