Spitfire's Ambient Guitars takes the humble six-string into new and uncharted sonic territory.
I'm a big fan of creating non-guitar sounds with my own guitars, so I was keen to see what Spitfire had come up with when they announced Ambient Guitars, a Kontakt instrument based around a collection of modified guitar sounds, sonic textures and loops covering a huge range of styles.
Most started life as scraped, plucked, eBowed or otherwise tormented guitar notes. These samples are then further processed and combined via the user interface's routing, filtering, envelope-shaping and effects facilities. The sounds were created and performed by Leo Abrahams with a view to applications in film, TV and game music, as well as musical styles reliant on atmospheric textures. Using a wide range of guitars, pedals and effects, the recording took place in London's Pool Studios and the resulting samples were then forged into over 400 presets, including 160 artist presets, created by composers and Spitfire founders Christian Henson and Paul Thomson. Though there is support for the free Kontakt Player, Construction Kit patches require the full version of Kontakt 6.
The content of Ambient Guitars isn't all new, as it includes Spitfire's Enigma One and Two alongside over 10GB of new samples and new presets — so anyone already owning these earlier libraries qualifies for a substantial discount. In fact if you own both you get the crossgrade for free. Enigma 1 owners get a 28.45 percent discount and Enigma 2 owners get a 71.55 percent discount. In total the collection comprises over 600 sounds and the...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...