Tall Dog are a US company with no fewer than four new modules to tickle our fancies. If that seems ambitious for a first outing, a closer look reveals they are actually re-engineered versions of well-known modules. Reduced to a mere 8HP each, in some cases they are 'legacy' gems brought out of retirement. The current list includes petite versions of Mutable Instruments' Braids, Clouds and Rings plus an equally titchy Ornament & Crime (o_C), the multi-purpose, app-based CV processor.
Although open–source-based, requiring just a credit to be used — even commercially — Tall Dog believe in going beyond those terms. Not only do they contact the companies concerned at the beginning of development, they offer a donation for each unit sold. The end result is wider availability of some of the coolest entries to the modular world in recent years. Inevitably, the size reduction, especially in the case of the MI modules, means you have to deal exclusively with 'knobless stalks' and a generally less enjoyable interface. But, for some, small trumps all when it comes to case-cramming.
These modules are already well-established...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...