Find out how to get the most out of Cakewalk's ripple edit modes.
Ripple editing has been a staple of video editing, and is available in many audio programs too. This type of editing automatically moves content on the timeline after performing edits that add or remove time, thus completing some editing operations automatically. For example, if you cut a section of a song, the 'hole' that's created closes up automatically, with everything after the section you removed sliding to the left to fill the gap. Or, if you insert extra material into a song, the song will open up enough space to accommodate what you want to paste — it's not necessary to create a space first, and then paste. Actually, I've always thought of ripple editing as editing the timeline, with the clips just along for the ride. (Note that ripple editing works in Track View, but not the Piano Roll View.)
Sonar had some ripple-editing functionality, which included the Delete Hole function when cutting, and the ability to insert measures when you wanted to push material ahead in the timeline. However, there were multiple limitations, like what happened with MIDI notes when you deleted a hole. These were a source of frustration, but in May 2017 Sonar adopted true ripple editing and in a recent update, Cakewalk added a ripple editing on/off indicator.
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...