VariAudio 3's Smart Controls make possible much more than just pitch correction.
In my SOS May 2019 column, I considered how the overhaul of VariAudio in Cubase Pro 10 made routine pitch correction more efficient. But VariAudio offers more than pitch correction alone, so in this follow-up article I'll consider some of the corrective and creative options.
If you enable Show All Smart Controls in the Inspector's VariAudio tab (discussed last month), when you hover over a pitch segment in the Sample Editor you'll see Warp Start and Warp End Smart Controls, located centre-left and centre-right respectively. These don't change the pitch, but when grabbed and dragged left/right, Cubase will apply its audio-warping algorithms to time-stretch or time-compress the portion of the waveform bounded by the selected segment. (As you move the Warp Smart Controls for one segment, any segment adjoining the edge being moved is also stretched/compressed to compensate.) In a corrective context, this makes it very easy to make small timing adjustments to a performance. You can, for example, adjust the phrasing of syllables to hit an underlying beat/groove. As with quantising, a little can go a long way here, but if you're after that super-slick, polished vocal style, this can help you achieve it — and when you make these kinds of small timing adjustments, the results can be incredibly transparent.
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...