We show you how to get Reason and your hardware or software modular synths speaking the same language.
Last time we looked at how to connect modulation and audio sources between Reason and software modular synths. As promised, this time we'll learn how to generate note CV signals from the Rack so that you can play and sequence modular synths (soft or hard) directly from Reason.
The main story of last month's episode was that what Reason calls CV in its Rack is not the same thing as CV in your hardware modular or virtual Eurorack plug-ins. To use Reason's CV to modulate a modular synth, you have to convert it to an audio signal. We did this using Thor's routing matrix, and Robotic Bean's CV‑O Rack Extension.
If you followed along at home you may have taken the next step and tried to sequence the pitch of a modular oscillator, perhaps connecting something like the Matrix step sequencer to a software modular. If so you'll have encountered a problem: the 'voltage' from the Reason CV is not calibrated in the same way as modular note CV. You'll hear the pitch change, but it won't track correctly. What's needed here is a way to convert precisely from Reason's note CV to a voltage signal that follows a standard modular pitch convention. For Eurorack this is 1V/octave. There is a way... a Silent Way.
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...