We show you how to connect audio, MIDI and CV between Reason and your virtual modular.
Since Reason gained support for VST plug-ins you may have experimented with using a virtual modular synth inside the Rack. So let's explore how to connect audio, MIDI and CV between Reason and these open-ended instruments.
There are a number of virtual instruments that present you with a modular synth environment. VCV Rack and Softube Modular are both direct Eurorack simulations with a mixture of their own core modules and ports of real–world hardware. Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular is also 'Euroracky' but with a focus on usability over simulation — in some ways it reminds me of Reason. Lastly, NI's Reaktor Blocks has just gained front-panel patching and suddenly feels much more like a real modular.
You might simply want to play a modular VI like a regular instrument — in other words get MIDI and/or clock from Reason into the synth, and get audio back out. You might also want to route audio from other Reason devices into the modular and use it as an effect. Or if you're feeling adventurous you can send CV and gates from the Rack into the modular (or vice versa) for sequencing or modulation.
Let's start with some basics. Softube Modular, Voltage Modular and Reaktor can all run as VST plug-ins, so getting started with them couldn't be much easier. All of them have presets that include the necessary MIDI, clock and audio connections for you to be able to play synth patches and synchronise any internal sequencing modules without manual configuration.
VCV Rack runs as a stand-alone app but has a companion Bridge...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...