An original track entitled '3AM' by George Gleeson AKA Jung, remixed by Niels Geurs AKA hindernis, took the top prize at BPM Live's B-Side Project Awards which were held at Metropolis Studios in London on December 1st, 2016.
Sponsored by internationally acclaimed manufacturer Prism Sound, the Awards marked the culmination of a year-long project to promote new artists, merge music genres and provide additional platforms for live and electronic music productions. Six awards were presented with Jung/hindernis winning the gong for Best Remix Production.
Last year’s winner Mad Hearts was once again in the running, receiving the Award for Best Remix Arrangement for a track entitled 'Open Up Your Eyes' which was remixed by sixdec. Other winners included Night Sprite and remixer noise vs. silence, who won the Award for Most Imaginative Remix; Benedict Harris-Hayes and remixer bARTek, who won the Award for Innovation; Catnip & Claws, who won the Best Female Producer Award for her remix of a track entitled 'Just A Ride' by Simon Kelly, and Zangba and remixer Massive Dynamic, who won the Public Choice Award.
The 10 top entries will be released as a compilation album on the B-Side Recordings label, distributed by Republic of Music and available to download via numerous online retailers including iTunes.
Now in its sixth year, this annual competition attracted entries from over 400 artists, bands and producers from over 40 different countries. Each artist was paired with an electronic music producer who re-mixed their track to create a new and exciting musical work.
The Award winners were chosen by a judging panel that included high-profile producers and remixers such as Grammy Award winners La Roux, Hospital Records artist Nu:Tone (a.k.a Dan Gresham), drum ‘n’ bass legend Roni Size, and Superfoxx founder Krystal Roxx. Many of these took part in presenting Awards, while Krystal Roxx also ended the evening by delivering one of her trademark, high-energy DJ sets. The entire event was streamed live via the Prism Sound Facebook page.
Yvette Chivers, Founder of BPM Live, says: “We were amazed by the quantity and quality of original track entries this year, and the subsequent electronic dance music remixes that were produced. This project really is helping musicians and producers to interact across countries and achieve recognition. As long as they keep creating amazing music, we'll continue to help everyone to mix it up and break musical boundaries!"
Prism Sound’s product range includes high-quality audio interfaces such as Lyra, Titan and Atlas that are ideally suited to music producers, remixers and DJs. This synergy between the two brands prompted the company to sponsor the B-Side Project and support it via extended marketing and promotion at various events including its popular Mic to Monitor tours.
As part of their prize, Jung and hindernis received high quality Prism Sound Lyra audio interfaces. The pair also received ACS Pro Series custom hearing protection, IK Multimedia Total Studio Max and a one-year subscription to Sound On Sound magazine. Additional producer prizes for hindernis included Amphion One15 monitors, Audio Technical headphones and microphone and a ROLI Seaboard Rise keyboard. Other award winners also won various prizes, along with a framed CD trophy.
B-Side Project Award Winners
Award: Award Winner / Original Artist 'Track'
- Best Remix Arrangement: sixdec / Mad Hearts ‘Open Up Your Eyes’
- Most Imaginative Remix: noise vs silence / Night Sprite ‘Judgement Day’
- Most Innovative Remix: bARTek / Benedict Harris-Hayes ‘Finding a Voice’
- Public Choice Remix: Massive Dynamic / Zangba ‘I Need You’
- Best Female Producer: Catnip & Claws / Simon Kelly ‘Just A Ride’
- Best Remix Production: hindernis / Jung ‘3AM’
- Top 9 Remix Track: bARTek / Benedict Harris-Hayes ‘Finding a Voice’
- Top 9 Remix Track: Antonio Escobar / The Echo Cult ‘Timeless’
- Top 9 Remix Track: The Fayr / Bettina ‘Far Away’
- Top 9 Remix Track: Misty Jones / Foxer ‘Otherside’
- Top 9 Remix Track: Rick Moore / Moscow ‘Come Around’
- Top 9 Remix Track: Skoulger & Gully / NoisyGift ‘Sundance’
- Top 9 Remix Track: Chemikal Recipe / Perpetual Motion ‘Flying On The Wind’
- Top 9 Remix Track: Catnip & Claws / Simon Kelly ‘Just A Ride’
- Top 9 Remix Track: liudprand / Volovia ‘True Star’
For more information about the B-Side Project, please visit: www.b-sideproject.org