Cakewalk has all the tools you need to put together a seamless DJ‑style album.
DJ mixing is a pretty established art: you beat-match different tracks, crossfade them, sometimes pitch-shift them so you don't have jarringly untuned sections, add effects, and so on. But what if you're creating a project from scratch in Cakewalk?
My album project for 2018, Joie de Vivre (stream it from youtube.com/thecraiganderton) consisted of six individually recorded, rock-meets-EDM songs that I'd hoped to combine in a continuous mix. I figured I would just put the cuts and some transitions into Studio One's album assembly page, use the LUFS metering, add the needed crossfades and PQ codes, and be done. But when it was time to do the actual album assembly, I realised that there needed to be an intermediate step between finishing the songs and creating the final master: a little 'multitrack assembly' in Cakewalk.
As to the album's structure, the song tempos dictated the order, because I wanted the tempo to increase over the course of the album. (Rather than use the actual titles and take up space, I'll just number them.)
- 1. 115 bpm, key of A
- 2. 115 bpm, key of G
- 3. 118 bpm, key of G/D/G
- 4. 120 bpm, key of G
- 5. From 120-122 bpm, key of C
- 6. 122 bpm, key of C
- 7. 127 bpm, key of Am
Although the tempo differences between songs weren't huge, you can't get away with crossfading songs even a couple of bpm apart.
The first step was placing all the final mixes on the timeline. Because the songs had different tempos (and one had a tempo increase), it wasn't...
You are reading one of the locked subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've only read 20% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy the Full Issue PDF **NEW**
- From the January 2018 edition onwards, it is possible to buy a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' (with adverts) for the price of a handful of single PDF articles, and instantly download it. More info...
Option 3: Buy a Digital subscription and open ALL web articles instantly!