Reason has plenty of tricks up its sleeve for adding character and warmth to a mix.
If you’ve already upgraded to version 7 of Reason, you will no doubt have been enjoying its new bundled effect device, Audiomatic Retro Transformer. This orange wonder is remarkably easy to use — just choose your effect flavour, tweak it with the Transform knob, and adjust levels if necessary — but it can imbue tracks with real character and vibe.
However, there are other approaches to adding character and dirtying up your sounds in general, and you won’t necessarily need the absolutely latest version of Reason to achieve many of them. All have the ability to give drum loops, synth riffs, audio tracks, whole mixes (or anything else, really) a notably looser and more lived-in feel. They can help to banish unwanted vestiges of squeaky-clean digital accuracy, and provide a really interesting alternative to EQ in making mix elements ‘bed down’ and complement each other. Let’s look at some of the best.
Prior to Audiomatic, the ‘go-to’ character device in Reason was Scream 4, and it’s still massively useful, with valuable, unique capabilities. Yes, it’s called a ‘Sound Destruction Unit’ but not all its treatments are aggressive and screamingly obvious (sorry).
Try creating a Scream 4 on a track, but turn off the Damage section completely. That leaves you with the Cut section, a three-band EQ easily capable of generating lo-fi...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...