While January might be a grey month for many, it offers one ray of light in the form of the annual NAMM exhibition in Anaheim, California. Musical equipment and pro‑audio manufacturers from across the globe congregate to display their latest and greatest products and innovations. The show is also the perfect opportunity to present the SOS Awards, which celebrate the products that you, the SOS readers, have deemed most worthy of these prestigious accolades.
Nominations for the awards were open to products, across 18 categories, that had been available for the preceding 12 months. We received an incredible number of votes and we’ll be announcing the winner of our prize draw for voters very soon. One lucky voter will receive a stunning prize bundle of AKG microphones worth £10,000$16,000, so keep an ear to the ground for that announcement! In the mean time, we’re proud to announce the results of the sixth annual SOS Awards. The winners are:
- Computer Audio Interface: Universal Audio Apollo 8p
- DAW Software: Apple Logic Pro 10.1
- Effects & Processing Hardware: Universal Audio Teletronix LA-2A
- Software Plug-in: FabFilter Pro-Q 2
- Mixing Controller: SSL Nucleus
- Performance Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49
- Keyboard/Synth: Moog Sub 37
- Hardware Drum Machine/Sampler/Sequencer: Roland TR8
- Microphone: Neumann U47 FET
- Mixer: Behringer X32
- Studio Monitors: Adam A77X
- Hardware Audio Recorder: Zoom H5
- Microphone Preamp: Neve 1073DPX
- Software Instrument: Native Instruments Kontakt 5
- Studio Headphones: Shure SRH1840
- Live Sound: Midas M32
That leaves only two more awards: the Editors’ Choice Award, which is selected by the editorial team at Sound On Sound, and the Marketing Award, chosen by the commercial team at SOS.
2015 was an amazing year for pro‑audio products, but the thing that brought the biggest smiles to our collective faces — and wins the Editors’ Choice Award — is the excellent Sonarworks Reference 3 room, speaker and headphone calibration software (http://sosm.ag/may15-sonarworks). The Marketing Award goes to Time + Space, for their innovative interactive Tablet Edition advertsEastWest for their innovative Composer Cloud campaign.
All of the team at Sound On Sound would like to thank you for taking the time to cast your votes in this year’s SOS Awards. Also, our congratulations and thanks go to this year’s winners, and to all the award nominees, for their hard work in creating such excellent pro-audio tools for us to use.