Distortion can be a surprisingly useful mix effect, if you know what you're doing. Mike Senior reveals several common applications, and explains how to get the best results in practice.
00:00 - Introduction
00:49 - Distortion for tonal change
01:27 - Bringing sounds up front
03:30 - Combatting upper-spectrum masking
06:07 - Distorting rock lead vocals
09:56 - Distorting bass
13:16 - Practical implementation tips
16:04 - End
24-bit Podcast Download
If you'd like to listen more critically to the audio examples, you can download a high-resolution 24-bit/44.1kHz WAV of this whole podcast episode here:mikesenior-sospodcast-ep5-distortion.wav.zip
This month's episode features audio examples from the following productions:
Alex Giddens: 'Get Blown'
- Read about my mix of this project in Sound On Sound's October 2009 'Mix Rescue' column at www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mix-rescue-alex-giddens
- Download the full raw multitracks from https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/#Flags
- Read about my mix of this project in Sound On Sound's March 2011 'Mix Rescue' column at www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mix-rescue-flags
- Download the full raw multitracks from https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/#Zeno
- Read about my mix of this project in Sound On Sound's March 2010 'Mix Rescue' column at www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mix-rescue-zeno
Actions: 'Devil's Words'
- Download the full raw multitracks from https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/#Actions
- For lots more mixing tips and audio examples relating to this project, listen to the February 2018 Cambridge-MT Patrons Podcast for free at https://www.patreon.com/posts/17201141
Mike Senior is a professional audio engineer, regular SOS contributor, and author of the best-selling books Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio and Recording Secrets For The Small Studio. He runs the Cambridge-MT educational resources site (including the web's largest free multitrack download library) and hosts two monthly independent podcasts, Project Studio Tea Break and the Cambridge-MT Patrons Podcast.
About the Recording & Mixing podcast channel
On this channel you’ll find shows packed with hints & tips about getting the most out of the recording, mixing and mastering process.
Available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.