The latest release from Lauten Audio is a compact FET capacitor microphone that has been designed exclusively for use on snare drums. Simply called the Snare Mic, it features a carefully tuned frequency response, an ultra-high dynamic range and boasts up to 28dB rejection of off-axis sounds.
Measuring just 109mm long, the Snare Mic can be easily manoeuvred into place on even the most densely populated drum kits, with its solid construction ensuring it stands up to the rigours of touring as well as keeping it safe from enthusiastic players! a wide frequency response helps to capture every nuance of a snare hit from the initial impact to the resonant decay — the company say that the Snare Mic can easily replace a multi-mic setup — whilst the off-axis rejection helps to avoid potential phase issues. Both low- and high-pass filters are built in, helping users to dial in the sound they’re looking for at the source and reducing the amount of processing needed further along the signal path.
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency response: 20Hz - 20KHz
- High-pass filter: Flat / 80Hz / 140Hz
- Low-pass filter: Flat / 5kHz / 12kHz
- SPL handling: >135dB (0.5% THD @ 1000Hz)
- Dynamic range: 135dB minimum
- Self-noise level: < 15dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 79dB
- Sensitivity: -66.0dBV/Pa (0dB=1V/Pa 1KHz)
- Power: 48V Phantom power
- Dimensions: 109 x 50 mm (mic only) / 112 x 71 mm (with mount)
- Weight: 309g (mic only) / 407g (with mount)
The Snare Mic will come supplied in a padded bag with an adjustable mount.
Pricing & Availability
The Snare Mic is available now, priced at $398 US Street / MSRP $549.