Sanitise dirty talk on the spot with Audionamix's effective and easy-to-use plug-in.
One of the perennial difficulties with recording speech outside of a controlled studio environment — such as for location film or TV sound, or radio street interviews — is unwanted background noise. A little background noise is usually a good thing, as it helps to set the auditory context, but problems arise when it is loud or intrusive enough to degrade the intelligibility of what's being said.
The key factors in good intelligibility come down to the basics: careful selection of the recording location, and appropriate mic placement and type. Get these three parameters right and the recording will generally work without problems, but often one or more of these factors may be out of the engineer's control, and so dealing with intrusive background noise is a common post-production requirement.
Many varied and increasingly sophisticated approaches and techniques have been developed over the years, including analogue spectral-band processing, digital noise-fingerprint systems and, more recently, noise/speech detection and separation using artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms. The latest weapon in this increasingly sophisticated armoury of dialogue improvement tools comes from Audionamix. IDC, or Instant Dialogue Cleaner, replaces the company's previous SVC (Speech Volume Control), and apparently employs DNN-AI (Deep Neural Networks Artificial Intelligence) to detect speech within a recording, allowing its level to be adjusted independently of the background sounds — the Holy Grail of dialogue noise...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...