With their easy portability and clear, transparent sound, PreSonus’ latest range of PA speakers couldn’t have been better named.
When it comes to portable powered loudspeakers you might be forgiven for thinking that surely there’s nothing new left under the sun. The phenomenally successful format has been produced and sold in such huge numbers over the last couple of decades that I sometimes wonder where they all go... before long someone will no doubt come up with ‘latest research’ telling us that all the 12-inch powered speakers in the world would, if stood in a line, reach from Madagascar to the South Pole, or would all fit on Ragged Island.
And here’s yet another set of portable powered PA speakers, but this time from a manufacturer whose perceived core business hasn’t always been in this type of product — PreSonus are known and regarded for signal processing, and until relatively recently not so much as a mainstream producer of PA speakers. So I unboxed these latest AIR speakers with a bit more than the usual interest, and I quickly made a set of new best friends...
When the AIR range was announced last year the first two words on the PreSonus press release I saw were ‘compact’ and ‘lightweight’ — and in this case, they were absolutely bang on the money. There are five models in the series: three full-range versions with a two-way independently amplified driver format, badged as AIR10, AIR12 and AIR15 according to the LF driver size; and two single-driver subwoofers offering the choice of 15- or 18-inch woofers. All three full-range models employ the same...
You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account
- To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
- Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop
- A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
- PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.