Listen to the changes I made by checking out the following audio examples which I made during the mixing session:
The original bass synth sound, without any extra processing.
The same synth sound processed with Noveltech Character and Wave L1 Ultramaximizer.
This file shows how I made one of the drum fills into a feature by flanging it selectively under automation control.
The synth backing pad was treated to subtle chorusing courtesy of Universal Audio's Roland Dimension D plug-in.
On this submix of the guitars you can hear the effects of my processing choices: EQ cut at 175Hz and 1.2kHz, EQ boost at 8.5kHz, some subtle Noveltech Character, a small amount of overall compression, and a dash of Audio Ease Altiverb.
The final lead vocal benefited from a little pitch-correction, and a combination of plate reverb and tape echo effects. I also boosted a little with EQ in the mid-range and applied some 3.2:1-ratio compression.
Using automation I inserted a radio preset from Audio Ease's Altiverb just for selected sections of the lead vocal.
The mix that Simon Fitzpatrick sent in when asking for help.
My completed remix.