We continue our look at further ways to tailor Pro Tools to your tastes.
In September 2019's Pro Tools techniques column, I covered six of my favourite preferences that I always make a point of changing from the default state after installing Pro Tools. In this column I'm going to continue this exploration of the Pro Tools preferences as this is an area of the program that doesn't receive as much attention as perhaps it should. As I've previously said, preferences are exactly that, and what suits me may well not suit everyone. However as Pro Tools is less configurable than many digital audio workstations, the limited amount of configurability we do have should be explored before we complain too loudly about how inflexible Pro Tools is!
The first of these preferences is the ability to set different meter types for tracks and for master tracks. Metering is an area in which Pro Tools is far more advanced than some of its competitors, especially since PPM, VU and K-System metering were added. It's a pity that at the moment there is no loudness metering available in the mixer, but even so, the metering is infinitely better than it used to be in Pro Tools 10 days. While it isn't possible to have different meter types showing on a per-track basis, it is possible to set up a different meter type on master faders compared to the rest of the Pro Tools mixer.
Typically I'll use the Pro Tools Classic as my global setting for all track types apart from master faders; I'll set master faders to Linear as this gives the best feedback for...
You are reading one of the locked Subscriber-only articles from our latest 5 issues.
You've read 20% of this article for free, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Buy and download this single SOS article in Adobe PDF format
- For less than the price of a coffee shop drink, buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer or smartphone.
- Single article PDFs look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
- Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.
Option 2: Buy a great value DIGITAL subscription (or Print+Digital) and open ALL web articles & Full Issue PDFs instantly!
- A DIGITAL sub can be bought from our online ShopStore and used immediately.
- It opens ALL premium web articles, plus our Tablet edition App, and now includes your monthly FREE Full Issue PDF download (worth £3.99$5.99 each).
- Or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy & Download TODAY the Full Issue PDF
- From January 2018 edition, we began selling a FULL ISSUE PDF 'replica magazine' for the cost of a handful of single PDF articles. More info...