EQ will make or break your master. It's the single most important factor in mastering, once you've decided the loudness. In Part 4 of his series for Sound On Sound, mastering engineer Ian Shepherd shows how to sculpt the perfect EQ balance for your masters, using the plug-ins or hardware you already have.
ABOUT THE SERIES
Mastering Essentials: The SOS Techniques Guide
In this six-part series, produced in association with Steinberg, well-known mastering engineer Ian Shepherd takes us through his approach to mastering. Whether you’re polishing individual tracks or assembling EPs or albums, Ian will explore the tools, skills and decisions that can help you achieve great-sounding results.
1. What Is Mastering? https://youtu.be/OIOIi9G1ClI
2. The Three Ms of Mastering https://youtu.be/O67lpW63Qq0
3. How Loud Should You Master? https://youtu.be/Jsxg11Yh3Ns
4. Mastering EQ: Balance, Don’t Match https://youtu.be/de50tLsRyb4
5. Compression & Limiting In Mastering
6. Final Delivery: Requirements & Specs
For more detail on Ian’s approach to mastering, you can get his free downloadable Home Mastering Guide at www.HomeMasteringGuide.com
For more info about Ian Shepherd, visit his site: https://productionadvice.co.uk